Friday, July 23, 2004

Sing-along

Remember how I dragged Kevin off to that contradance several weeks ago?  Well, I just knew I’d have to pay for that somehow.  Last night was the night.  Kev’s chorale was having a summer sing-along.  It was open to the public but I had this feeling that I’d be the only ‘amateur’ there.  I could just envision it . . . I’m sitting there screeching out my notes while everyone else is radiating perfectly round operatic tones.  (I do just fine at the campfire.  But this definitely wasn’t the campfire.)  People in Kev’s chorale take singing very seriously.  And many of them are rather uppity about it.  As we were walking into the cathedral Methodist church downtown, Kevin happens to mention that we’ll be singing in Latin.  Oh great.  That made me especially strained.  Afterall, I have enough trouble with English.

We sang Mozart’s Coronation Mass.  And (can you believe it?) I even remember what key it was in!  C major.  I guess Mozart liked to compose things in C major because most composers thought it was a boring key.  But Mozart, being the mastermind that he was, liked to prove them wrong.  So, that’s the only reason I know it was in C major.  Anyway, I got lost several times while trying to sing all those ‘dona nobis pacems.’  And I was horrified when one kind lady sitting next to me said, “You’re doing a great job.”  Frankly, I was trying not to be heard.  (When she said that I determined to sing even quieter.)  And I’m sure that was just a way for her to ‘encourage’ the newcomer.  Well, it was nice of her, but I know it wasn’t true. 

We had cookies at the break time.  That was fun.  And I got to meet some of Kevin’s friends.  That was also nice. 

They’re going to have another one in mid-August.  Since my experience last night wasn’t as bad as I was expecting (actually, it was kinda fun in its own way), I might go with him again.  But people better not expect me to join the chorale.  ‘Cuz I still think I make a much better spectator than I would a member.  And, gosh, the audition alone would totally freak me out. 

No comments: