Friday, July 16, 2004

Self-satisfaction

This morning I was pondering pride. It suddenly came to me that pride is the result of comparing ourselves with other people. And humility is the result of comparing ourselves to God. It’s horrible to have to admit but often I think people, myself included, have the tendency to look around and think "I’m doin’ pretty durn good." But if we look at who Christ is, that’s when we see ourselves falling woefully short. That’s when we discover how much we need to grow.

The last several days I’ve been reading In His Steps by Charles Sheldon. Although it’s a Christian classic, I’d never read it before. (Well, actually, believe it or not, I read the comic book by the same title when I was a kid. So I’m somewhat familiar with the story.) I’ve found the book to be very interesting. I’m not sure I agree with everything but, for the most part, it’s been very challenging and thought-provoking.
 

No comments: