Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Chocolat Fondue

Yesterday I was bemoaning the fact that Kevin was going to be out of town on business for the evening and I would be bored. (He stayed overnight in the Bay Area so he could take some depositions early this morning.) Last night, as I was headed home from work, I decided to be spontaneous and invite a few girlfriends over for some homemade chocolat fondue. I scrambled to find a recipe - chocolate with a hint of coffee, went grocery shopping, picked up the house, made the fondue, washed the strawberries, etc., set the table, and was ready just in time. Whala! Us girls had a fantastic time of eating, talking and vegging. Angela brought over two different chick flicks (she couldn’t decide which one to get) and we ended up watching both of them. They were both seriously lame - but we didn’t really care. When Kevin called me at 11 o’clock to say goodnight, we were just starting our second movie. Kevin was incredulous, "Amy, don’t you have to work tomorrow?" Yes, in fact, I did. But, hey, you’ve gotta live a little.

It’s funny because two of the friends that I hang out with the most right now, besides Kevin, are in very different stages of life than me. Angela is 17 and is just now excited to get her first car, start her first job, etc. Karen is 42 and is raising a teenage daughter and managing a nonprofit organization. Sometimes I think we can have preconceived notions about "who" our closest friends should be. But something I’ve learned about friendship is that wonderful things come when we are open to the "unlikely" friends God chooses to place in our path.

No comments: