Friday, July 02, 2004

Citizenship

Several years ago I visited Ellis Island. While there, I was moved to think about my citizenship. It was easy for me because I became a U.S. citizen by virtue of being born. As I walked through the museum at Ellis Island, my thoughts centered on those who endured trials and hardships to become citizens. I thought of the multitudes in faraway lands who yearned for America, where they could "breathe free" and "pursue happiness." For the lucky few who were able to come to America, the struggle didn’t end upon arrival. The process of becoming a citizen was arduous and difficult. But they persevered. And because of their struggle, they and their posterity have tasted the sweetness of liberty and opportunity. Here is an excerpt of the U.S. Citizenship Test. Take it for the fun of it. I’m happy to report that I got 10 out of 11. (I couldn’t, for the life of me, remember which was the 49th state admitted to the union. Sheesh.) ;)

Happy 4th of July to all of you! Cherish your citizenship.

No comments: