Monday, July 12, 2004

No Duckling Left Behind . . .

Yesterday, we were too late for Sunday School and too early for church and so we parked our car at Land Park across from a pond and talked. We were interrupted when we observed a mother duck helping her nine little ducklings across the road, toward the pond. Within seconds we completely forgot our topic of conversation and watched as the mother duck hopped up the curb, onto the grass, leaving the ducklings behind to struggle up the curb on their own. The tiny ducklings kept jumping and jumping, trying to make it. But they kept slamming into the side of the curb and falling down on their backs. It was hysterical to watch them. We felt sorry for the poor creatures. Finally, six of them made it but the three smallest and weakest ducklings were left behind. After about five more minutes of struggle, I turned to Kev and said, “We have to do something to help them.” There was a section of curb that was significantly lower than the rest of the curb and my goal was to help guide the ducklings to that section. The ducklings were terrified of me and kept running past that section of curb. After several minutes of watching my unsuccessful attempts, Kevin joined me and the two of us together were able to guide the ducklings to the right spot. It was very satisfying to see them scurry across the grass to join their mother. It was our good deed for the day! The funny thing is . . . I was mad at Kevin about something (as perfect as he is, can you imagine?!). After working together to help the poor ducklings, my irritation became stupid and insignificant. I never thought I’d be taught a lesson in perspectives from three darned little ducklings!

No comments: