Friday, April 14, 2006

Spring Has Sprung


Today I bought strawberries, asparagus, and tulips. The sun is shining brightly and red breasted robins have been scurrying about our backyard all morning. It must truly be spring now.

While in the checkout line at the grocery store, Meredith threw her doll into the path of an elderly gentleman. He kindly picked it up and handed it back to her. We soon struck up a friendly conversation.

“My wife and I always wanted girls,” he said. “But we had boys.”

“Do you have grandchildren?” I asked.

“Oh yes, four grandsons and a granddaughter.”

“Well then,” I replied. “You finally got your girl!”

“I think it’s harder to raise girls than boys in this day and age,” he continued. “If I had a sixteen year old daughter, I think I would keep her locked in her room!”

With that happy comment, he smiled and walked away.

In the back of my mind, I probably realized that it’s likely become more difficult to raise daughters now than in previous generations (probably, I guess, because modern culture is so image-driven, teens are constantly inundated with sexual images and messages, and because of the overall breakdown of the family unit).

Until today, however, I had never really ruminated on that concept. Although Meredith will be raised in a Christian home and we plan to guide her as best we can, I know it will be impossible to completely insulate her from detrimental worldly influences.

But I suppose that’s where our strength ends and God’s grace begins.

Anyway, happy Easter and happy spring!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

One word: culottes. There is no bigger turn off than seeing a girl in culottes. Then again, I'm not sure it’s worth risking your daughter’s eternal enmity for making her wear those hideous things.

J said...

I'll display my total lack of fashion knowledge, especially feminine fashion, and ask "What on earth are culottes??"

Queen of Carrots said...

I'd say I worry about raising boys more. But then, I was a strange girl.

Anonymous said...

What's a culottes?

Anonymous said...

The Queen still is a "strange girl"