Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Dr. Jekyll, Miss Hyde

Today my little baby girl turned into the devil incarnate before my very eyes. And it happened at a public place – one of my favorite restaurants!

Normally when we eat out, Meredith sits in her high chair and happily snacks on Cheerios, or whatever else we feed her. Today she simply wouldn’t sit still. She threw all her food on the floor – Cheerios, mashed carrots, and fried rice. When I handed her a toy, it promptly went to the floor as well. Then she started this screaming fit – a shrill, piercing scream that caused all heads in the restaurant to turn in our direction.

Out of desperation, I gave her what I thought was a thick-papered packet of sugar to shut her up. After one bite, the packet broke in two and Meredith quickly ate all the sugar and half the paper.

By the time we left the restaurant, our table, the surrounding floor area, Meredith’s shirt, and my [previously white] pants, looked like a tornado had swept through.

I’m fairly convinced that the restaurant owner took our picture and has posted it in their kitchen to warn employees about is if we attempt a future visit: “If these people are spotted within a mile of our restaurant or parking lot, please promptly bolt all doors.”

Now, as I type, my little devil is smiling like an angel, cooing, and quietly playing with her toys on the floor.

You know … since becoming a parent, I’ve learned to be a lot less judgmental.

Before, when seeing a kid act up in public, I would think, “What a bratty kid. Those parents should do something to stop that kid.”

Now that, today, I was the one with the bratty kid, I understand that it’s a lot easier said than done.

Okay, I’ve gotta go. I’m bracing myself for when the contents of that sugar packet get to her bloodstream. I’m really going to be in for it then.

No comments: