Monday, April 03, 2006

But men aren't mice ...

Last night we watched Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men. I realize it’s a classic but I’d never read the book and wasn’t familiar with the story line.

It left me feeling deeply disturbed. Kevin had warned me of where the story was going but I didn’t believe him. He hadn’t seen (or read) it either so I figured he was guessing the ending incorrectly. But, alas, he was right.

I didn’t like the analogy between killing Candy’s dog and killing Lennie – i.e., when something is no good to society it should be exterminated.

There is a big difference between animals (e.g., mice and dogs) and human beings. Humans are made in the image of God and have a soul. Humans are given dominion over animals and have a higher purpose.

I realize that Lennie had become a threat to other human life, so the taking of his life could ultimately be justified. (And George did it out of “compassion” to avoid a more brutal killing.) But that wasn’t the point of the story. That’s not where the author was taking us.

Although I was disturbed by the ending, and the implied worldview, I did appreciate the food for thought. And the acting was magnificent. I would recommend you see it for that alone.

8 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

Did you watch the one w/Gary S and John Malkovich? That's the best one, in my opinion.

Amy K said...

Yes, that was the one. I didn't realize there are multiple versions. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never been a fan of John Steinbeck. Although he wrote an amazingly clear description of a turtle crossing the road, that was in my opinion the only worthy aspect of his "Grapes of Wrath". It's a shame that some books are considered award winning classics, when in my opinion they are losers and a waste of time.

Carrie said...

Couldn't agree with you more, Sarah!

the Joneses said...

Amen to Sarah. I had to read "Of Mice and Men" and "The Pearl" in public high school, and then I read his version of King Arthur on my own. I didn't like any of them, so I've sworn off Steinbeck

Anne said...

agreed... the pearl was depressing.

Janice Phillips said...

Oh, you guys, just read the last chapter first and then you'll know if you want to read the whole thing, right AJR?

Janice Phillips said...

But do you think that (assuming the author's point was moral) it is a convincing argument? I remember being in college, reading the book, watching the movie in class, and having the most intense discussions with my class about if/when it was ok to "kill." It does stop and make you think...and appreciate that God is God and we are not.