Thursday, April 06, 2006

I've come to terms with mushrooms. Almost.

Uh oh, I must be growing up because I’m learning to appreciate, or at least tolerate, more vegetables. I came to terms with broccoli and squash several years ago. Lately I’ve been working on mushrooms.

I’ve never been able to figure out why people like mushrooms. They’re too reminiscent of toad stools that grow in the backyard.

Last week, as I planned the family menu and made my grocery list, I decided I was going to make chicken tetrazzini. Problem is, chicken tetrazzini has mushrooms in it.

Before I gave in, I looked online to see if I could find something good to substitute for mushrooms. I learned that there really aren’t any good alternatives.

So, last night, as my chicken tetrazzini baked in the oven, I wondered if I could really do it.

I’m happy to report that I did! I’m SO grown up.

7 comments:

Alaina said...

I love mushrooms when they are canned, sauteed, grilled, baked, cooked...but NOT raw. I can't stand the texture and don't really like the flavor. I'm getting a little better but I still don't prefer them.

Anonymous said...

Mushrooms are not vegetables.

Jen said...

I do not like mushrooms and don't plan on liking them anytime soon. :) I am getting a little more adventurous though as I grow up

Angel said...

They say as we age, more and more of our tastebuds fail. So that's why grown-ups will eat things that kids won't. And I'm assuming that's why I suddenly like olives now, which otherwise would have no logical explanation . . .

Rachelle said...

I make M Chicken Tetrazzini but he doesn't like mushrooms and I'm allergic to them, so I just leave them out. It is still good without.... : ) R

Chris and Amber said...

I don't like mushrooms either!
-Amber :)

Anonymous said...

Homeschoolers!!!!