Monday, February 06, 2006

Learning not to be a perfectionist hostess …

Have you ever been to someone’s house where the woman, usually an older woman, is able to put the finishing touches on great meal, have a significant conversation, keep the kids in check, and look beautiful all at the same time?

Well, I’m still working on that.

Friday night we had company for dinner. I had hoped to have the home peacefully awaiting them and dinner all prepared. You know, maybe a few candles lit for aroma and ambiance. Maybe strains of Mozart playing in the background.

Instead, when they walked in, I was on the phone, dinner was literally starting to burn, Meredith was screaming hysterics in the background (I finally just put her in her crib to cry because she was overtired, wouldn’t settle down, and I had things to do), and I looked a mess with my hair flying in all directions and sweat dripping down my back.

Ugh. Everything turned out okay in the end but there were definitely a few frantic moments there in the beginning.

I’m learning that it’s okay if things aren’t perfect every time I entertain. The important thing is to take a deep breath, roll with the punches, and enjoy hospitality … come what may!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know, you were totally a mess!

Anonymous said...

Alright, was that Braiden or Matt?

Micah said...

That scene sounds way too familiar :oD!!!! I think that the most important thing is that we keep trying!!! Glad to know I'm not alone!

Anonymous said...

It certainly sounds like you're calling Amy a liar...

JoMama said...

But only on weekends...

Carrie said...

=)

Heh. Amy, JB would like the recipe of the chili you served 'cause it was faAAAaabulous! =D

You were a GREAT hostess and we thoroughly enjoyed staying with you guys this weekend!

THANKS!

Anonymous said...

And I want the recipe for the pizza.

Meredith said...

I'd like to clarify that the Meredith "screaming hysterics in the background" was not me. I usually reserve that kind of outburst for my own family.

Also, Amy always looks fabulous and I can verify that she is indeed an amazing hostess. If you ever get to the point that you're a Martha Stewart or Bree Van de Kamp clone, we may have to plan an intervention.