Friday, January 27, 2006

Speaking of making things in the kitchen …

Oh yeah, I am very happy to report that I’ve learned how to make homemade baby food. As Meredith has started to eat more and more solids, I was mortified to see what that was doing to my grocery budget. Never did I dream I would make homemade baby food. But desperate times call for desperate measures. With a little bit of encouragement from my mother in law, I tried it. And it was a lot easier than I expected. After about 45 minutes of blending, there is approximately a month’s worth of baby food in the freezer. This is going to pay off big time.

4 comments:

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

I'd love to hear tips for homemade baby food production :) I plan to make Nora's food when she's at that stage.

Megan said...

Amy, I went through stages of freezing baby food as well, but more often than not, I would simply take a portion of whatever it was we were eating for dinner that night and blend-on-the-spot. Instant baby food! It looks nasty, but it works...

Anne said...

i came to the same realization when i saw how expensive baby food was... then i found that babies don't really need 'baby food' anyway. you can give them solid food cut up in small bites (especially breast-fed babies because they have such strong jaws) and they'll eat it just fine. it saves a lot of time, and they can eat pretty much whatever you make for dinner... erin has been eating pasta, steamed veggies, and sandwiches since she was 8 months and now i don't have to bother mashing everything. its a real time saver.

Queen of Carrots said...

Well, some babies will. Occasionally I still have to puree something for D1 at 19 months . . . she doesn't like to chew much, I guess. Reputedly her father wouldn't eat anything but puree until he was two. So I'm very glad to have a blender.