Monday, December 12, 2005

Weekend Highlights, Lowlights, and Christmaslights

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas at the Koons’ household. Our tree stands shimmering in the living room, greenery ornaments the staircase, and stockings adorn the fireplace. And yes, oh yes, I’m in the Christmas mood.

One very sad thing I must mention, however, is that on Friday, when we were decorating, we despondently realized that we’d forgotten to get a stocking for Meredith. Very negligent of us! (We’re hopefully going to remedy that tonight.)

We took a break from Christmas festivity to celebrate Kevin’s 28th birthday on Saturday. We pretty much lazed around all day, took a bike ride through an “open space” near our house, and then had a great steak dinner.

Thanks to the environmentalists, open spaces are fairly common here in California. The one just down the street from our house looks like an enchanted forest with little rolling hills, long wavy grass, and spooky, gnarled oak trees. In the spring, when everything greens up, it’s especially beautiful with lots of purple lavender growing amongst the grass.

Last night we went to Todd and Kathy’s house and watched the children decorate gingerbread houses. Next year I think I shall plan a Christmas party for adults to decorate gingerbread houses. Wouldn’t that be fun? We could even make it into a contest!

I think Kathy saw that I was envious of the kids and she allowed me to decorate my very own gingerbread man. I loved it!

This morning I went downstairs to play some Christmas music. I turned on the CD player and, to my horror, Kevin had taken out the Christmas music and swapped it with some tribal-sounding chant music. Blah! I immediately switched it back. Now lovely strains of “Oh Holy Night” are wafting throughout my house. Ahhh. Yes, this world is a wonderful place to live. Especially at Christmastime.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't hanging stockings bowing to secular culture? Stockings are for Santa, aren't they?

Talk about inconsistency.

"Nick" said...

Technically they are for St. Nicholas... so technically they are a symbol of Christian giving.

Just trying to help you out Amy:)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah, I know about St. Nicholas, but he's become so commercialized and secular. It's shameful.

And gingerbread houses? Don't think there's anything too spiritual about those.

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

Amy,

I can picture your horror at the Christmas music swap out by your mate because I experienced it myself with my guy the other day. LOL. If there is one time when I'm not in the mood for "early music," it's when there should be nothing but Christmas music playing :-)

Thanks for your post about Christmas and Sunday worship. It is great to see such honest questions raised by people who so obviously enjoy the season, but wants to make sure that we are honoring Christ in our celebration.

I do agree with you about the importance of putting Sunday worship ahead of Christmas festivities. I really appreciated the thoughtful comments that others have been offered on your blog, too. While I think the verse about judging not lest you be judged is over used, and at times, misapplied, it was helpful in raising some applicable questions. Without resorting to situational ethics, I think there are people who at times skip a formal worship service and are still honoring God (acts of mercy). Christ did say the Sabbath is made for the man, not man for the Sabbath. In saying that though, the fourth commandment and many supporting teachings in the NT, should guide our discussions about Sunday worship. God has set the day, and it should not be changed by our whim.
As for churches closing for practical reasons on Christmas day, my own church may have to cancel the service at the community center where we meet because no one will be able to open the building. However, our pastor has suggested having a service in his home or joining another local congregation for worship. Logistical difficulties can be worked out.
Again, I appreciate the heart in which you broached this question. For me, keeping the Lord's day holy is something I struggle with all year through, not just at Christmas. It is a good reminder that the world is watching the church, and we are called to be a witness as well as to delight in worshiping God.

Amy K said...

"Isn't hanging stockings bowing to secular culture? Stockings are for Santa, aren't they?"

Geesh. I don't have time for this.

For the record, I engage in many secular activities. (Be in the world but not of it.)

There is a difference between enjoying secular activies - YES I PLAN ON OPENING PRESENTS ON DEC. 25 TOO! [SHOCK, GASP] - and having an opinion that putting God on the back-burner on the Lord's Day 'cuz it's inconvenient (yes, for me too) is QUESTIONABLE.

Can't a girl have an opinion in this relative-truth era?

I don't have time for this. I've got a little girl to watch, a house to keep, a job on the side, and a great Season to enjoy to the fullest extent humanly possible. :)

Merry Christmas,
Amy

Anonymous said...

You go, girl....and Merry CHRISTmas to you to. Hi, Meredith. Love, Aunt B.

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with Indian Tribal music during Christmas time? I think Kevin has a real point in that all cultures should be expressed during the holiday season. Really, Amy, glean from the wisdom of your husband.
(lol) ;-)

Kevin said...

Actually, to set the record straight, it wasn't tribal music. It was music from the middle ages and the renaissance from a music history CD that Amy's mom got me for my birthday.