Tuesday, December 13, 2005

‘Twas 13 Days Before Christmas …

… When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from my couch to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,

Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash …

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,

But a large fire engine (so who needs reindeer?),

With a truck pulling an old man, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick.

Yeah, so, I was talking on the phone to Kevin, who had called me on his way home from work, when I noticed that Santa was cruising our neighborhood to give Christmas greetings to the children in Roseville.

After spotting the hullabaloo through the window, I ran outside to join the throng.

Pretty much all the children in our neighborhood were standing outside their homes with huge smiles on their faces.

Santa spotted me and said, “Ho, ho, ho, who’s that on the phone? Tell them that Santa says Meeeeeerrrry Christmas!” And then he let out a big chuckle.

Ummm … Where can I fill out an application to have his job for next year? It’s like getting to be the biggest celebrity ever for a whole night. Everyone loves you and you get to make people happy. What a great job.

Turns out that Kevin, who was almost home when he called, got stuck in “Santa traffic.” But some little elves came by and handed him candy canes to make up for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happened to us a few weeks ago, right after Thanksgiving. A siren pierced the silence of the night and we figured some emergency or semi-emergency had prompted the ambulance and fire truck.... Nope, they were just leading the way for the pickup truck that held Santa and Mrs. Santa. Good grief....

Angel said...

I love that! When I was little the local fire department did that every single Christmas Eve (and they gave us candy canes too). It's such a fun memory. :)