Tuesday, December 13, 2005

In the Toy Shop

Last night was one of those “first experiences.” It was the first time we had the opportunity to go toy shopping for our own child. And it was so much fun! We walked up and down the aisles looking at all the playthings. From time to time, Kevin would pull something down from the shelf and show it to Meredith. We would watch her to gauge her reaction. When she smiled and kicked her legs wildly we figured she liked it. (Aren’t we smart?)

There was one toy in particular, a little plastic cooking utensil set, where she consistently went hysterics every time we showed it to her. [Yes! A girl after my own heart!]

There are several toys from my childhood that I remember in particular: 1) that little cone shaped toy with rainbow-colored stackable rings; 2) that little plastic bench toy with the little “nails” that you can hammer down; and 3) that toy that looks like a vacuum – you walk around with it and the little balls pop up and down.

One thing that was interesting to me is how hi-tech everything is now. The modern versions of all the above toys involve both shinning lights and music. What happened to the beautiful simplicity of toys?

Last night I learned that toys are not timeless. They evolve.

4 comments:

Stacie said...

Be careful, once you start toy shopping for your own child it is hard to stop. Its rather comparable to shoe or clothing shopping for yourself :) I have to resist the temptation every time I'm in target to "browse" through the toy section and online there are all those wonderful classic and wooden toy sites. . . it never ends.

Jen said...

Amy, I know exactly the toys you described.....they are in my mind forever. I LOVED them! These days it seems people overload their kids with high tech toys, when most of the time what the kids really like to play with is the wrapping paper and boxes! :)

Micah said...

That's hilarious, Amy! Brad and I were just talking the other day about how ridiculous it was that we would actually buy something for Kathryn this year seeing as how she won't even know the difference (and will get PLENTY from other sources :o). But we just couldn't resist!!!

Queen of Carrots said...

I just spent three weeks waiting for the non-flashing, noise-free plastic stacker toy to come in stock. But I finally got one!