Thursday, August 25, 2005

Still Afloat

Okay, I’m still surviving this being surrogate mom for two weeks to my siblings. My sister got sick yesterday to her stomach and has been feeling very ill the past two days. Being sick has made her miss my mom a lot more than I think she normally would. I don’t know if I feel worse for her or my brother. I promised David I’d take him swimming but, with Melissa sick, I can’t leave her and take him out to do anything fun. Since we can’t go anywhere, I’ve been wracking my brain to find fun things to do at home. Today we made cookies, for instance. I was short on butter and told David to use butter-flavored Crisco instead. He gave me this look that said “I don’t know about that.” He then went on to tell me that, if it was like margarine, it was very bad for you because it has chemicals in it. (Since when are ten year old boys into health food? Geesh!)

“But doesn’t grandma use margarine?” I asked (hoping this would allay his fears since, if grandma does it, it must surely be okay).

“Yes, but that’s probably why she has arth-ur-itis,” he replied.

No comments: