Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A Life Full of Love

Today is our three-year wedding anniversary. Yesterday I was flipping through an album my mom had put together for me and I read a note she’d written just before our wedding. She wrote: “Make love the goal of your life. Pursue love. Out-love [Kevin]. Love him like Christ loves you. Then your life will be truly blessed.” While I can’t say that I’ve come anywhere near to loving Kevin like Christ loves me, nor that I’ve out-loved Kevin, I can definitely look back on these last three years and see the blessings and fruition of love. God’s definition of love (true love) is so much deeper and fuller than the world’s definition of “love.”

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Cor. 13:4-8

It’s been rather easy for me to have “emotions” of love toward Kevin (‘cuz after living with him for three years, I still think he’s perfect). But the true test of love is my choices and my conduct. And I think that’s what my mom was, ultimately, talking about when she said our life together would be blessed by love.

Isn’t it interesting, too, how emotions of love tend to follow when we choose to act lovingly? I heard a wise person once say that it’s easier to love someone when we act toward them as a person “in love” would act. Where our treasure is, there our heart will be also.

I pray that God would continue to sanctify me and work in me so that I may love Kevin more perfectly every day. I look forward to the blessings that will come because of His grace. I look forward to a life full of love.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU BOTH!! I hope you enjoyed your time with Grandma and Grandpa Koons...looking forward to more pics (hint, hint ;-) Love you both!
Aunt K

Anonymous said...

Treasure hunts are helpful, and productive(or should I say reproductive), as well.

Anonymous said...

But no treasure hunting for 6-8 weeks at least!

Sarah M. said...

Happy anniversary Kevin & Amy! I seemed to have misplaced your email address, so there went any hope of sending you a card.

Hope you had a very special day. Meanwhile back here it was just as blazin' hot today as it was 3 years ago, thankfully today I spent in a building with AC. ;-)

Carrie said...

Congrats! =) Hope y'all thoroughly enjoyed your special day!

Rachelle said...

Happy Anniversary! I thought of you yesterday but never did get that ecard sent.

:) rlr