Monday, March 21, 2005

Respite

I will be away from my computer for a few days on a much needed break from the world of technology. Before I go, I thought I’d just mention that, although it was incredibly fun and I’m glad I tried it once, being a fashion model just isn’t my exact cup of tea. But it was a great learning experience. At the end of the show, this little girl with long, stringy hair, and big eyes, who was holding the curtain to the runway for each model to walk through, came up to me and whispered, “I think you were the best one,” and then she smiled sweetly. That alone made it worth it. (Sigh.) Kevin took some video footage and someone else promised they’d mail me some digital pictures. If she comes through on her promise, then I’ll try to post them. Interestingly, I was chosen to be one of two ladies to go on the local news station and be interviewed about the fashion show. Several friends, and strangers, said, “Oh, I saw you on T.V.” It was nice to be on the news for something uncontroversial, for a change.

Here are several other observations: The clothes available for pregnant women nowadays are, actually, very cute. (And it seems like the more money you’re willing to pay, the cuter they get!) I’m very relieved that the “muu muu” look is out for pregnant women. It’s currently vogue to showcase the belly with fitted clothing, rather than try to hide it. And, because of this, most of us pregnant women out there are breathing a collective sigh of relief. Think about it … it’s really hard to feel attractive when you look like a tent.

It was also interesting to hang with a bunch of other pregnant ladies for a few days. They were all very nice … except for one lady who told me “oh my goodness, you’re huge” when I told her I was five months pregnant. When she said this to me, my sinful nature wanted to slap her and retort: “Do you actually enjoy being rude or is it that your mother never taught you how to be nice?” But, instead, I bit my tongue and smiled.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the "huge" comment by the lady is more of a commentary on the size of your baby and not you.

When I was 6 months pregnant I gained no weight anywhere but my tummy and it made me look 9 months pregnant instead. People said I looked huge when I said I was only 6 months along because my lack of weight gain anywhere else caused my tummy to look that much bigger.

So really, you should take it as a compliment to how your baby is growing, but you are not necessarily following suit.

O.E. said...

Congratulations on the interview! LOL for the part about being on there for something non-political, at last.

Don't worry about the "huge" comment. Some people just blurt, without thinking about whether what they are going to say is true, much less nice. And, we happened to pass each other after the "Creation" concert downtown a couple of weeks ago- you haven't changed that much. :-)

jph said...

Something non-controversial?

There once was a bachelor, his girlfriend was a beaut, but when he discussed her modeling, her love she did refute. Sounds Shakespearean to me.

Bachelor, you know who you are.