Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Opera and Chocolate in the Rain

Last night was our final opera of the season. We saw Madame Butterfly. I thought it was really good, but also very dark. At the end, there was a whole row of teenage girls sitting behind us who were bawling their eyes out. I had already known, from reading the back of the program, that the heroine was going to commit suicide at the end of the show. So, even though the events were indeed tragic, I wasn't exactly ready to cry over it. But I did think it was sweet that the girls were so moved. The music from Madame Butterfly was absolutely beautiful. Both of us enjoyed it very much.

As we exited the theater, there was a steady drizzle of cold rain falling from the sky. We shivered as the doors to the theater flung open and we prepared to walk the eight blocks to our car. (There was a rock concert going on last night, too, resulting in parking spaces being scarce.) Luckily for us, there was a big tent outside the theater where some Starbucks promotional people were handing out free Chantico drinks. (Do you remember how I was telling you recently that I wanted to try this sometime?) The sight of those Chantico drinks, all lined up in a row, was very delightful to me. I took it as one of those little gifts in life, sent directly from God just for me.

You see, I’m a very simple person when it comes right down to it. I don’t need much to make me happy. To me, two ounces of warm (free!) Chantico on a cold, rainy night is enough to put me in a good mood for a week. [So, hint-hint, you can expect many euphoric posts written by me in the next seven days, or so!]

No comments: