Thursday, March 10, 2005

Auntie Melissa

My mom called me this morning. I hadn’t talked to her in a while. She asked me if I had a minute to talk to my sister Melissa (age 8) because she had a “pressing question” for me. Her question: “What room are you going to put the baby in?” Apparently she had been thinking about this and was anxious to know. She had also been wondering how we’ll decorate and she had definite opinions on the cribs and other nursery décor she’d seen at Babies R Us recently. (In fact, I think Melissa has probably thought more about cribs than we have!) Later in the conversation I asked her if she wants us to have a boy or girl. She replied: “I want you to have a boy but I don’t know why.” This really surprised me since I figured that my sister fit the stereotype – a little girl who is usually annoyed at boys (at least 90% of the time) and wants the world to be populated with more little girls. But apparently this isn’t the case.

One thing that’s easy for me to forget is how little-Melissa is excited about being an aunt. And how her life will be impacted (not drastically, but impacted nonetheless). Today I made a mental note to try to call her more often and include her in some things.

1 comment:

Alison said...

How cute! Melissa sounds like she’ll make a wonderful auntie. And, she sounds a lot like my little sister, Paetra.

Shortly after Nathan and I got married, my mom told us she overheard a “dispute” between Paetra and Kelan (2 years older than her) over who would get to baby sit our children. I guess I know where to find babysitters if I ever need them. :-P