Monday, March 21, 2005

Boxing and Bull-Riding

Last night Kevin made me watch Rocky IV. It’s the one with Rocky going up against the Russian and both of them beating each other up to a bloody pulp. And if that weren’t bad enough, he then made me watch a T.V. special with a bunch of bull-riding disasters where, essentially, the cowboy falls off the bull and gets stomped, kicked, bucked, thrown into the air, or a combination of all of the above. “I just don’t get it,” I told him. “What is it that these guys think they have to prove by riding these reckless animals?” Is it the thrill of flirting with danger? Do they think it’ll attract the ladies? Is this how they prove they’re a ‘man’? How can getting kicked in the face, or having a bull’s horn stuck up your rear end, make anyone feel like a man? And, after someone starts doing it, do they get addicted to the adrenaline rush? Is that why they feel compelled to go back for more? Hmmm … I personally think anyone who would do such a stupid thing has something seriously missing upstairs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please consider reading Wild at Heart by John Eldridge. It provides some explanation as to why guys are the way they are. It would be especially enlightening if you have boys.

Rachelle said...

I'm trying very hard to visualize Kevin watching Rocky IV. It is a tough thing. Anyway, I could handle no violence when I was pregnant. And it isn't much better now. Having a child...I think it brings out the "maleness" of the male and the maternal feminine of the female. :) rlr

O.E. said...

I'm watch bull-riding in awe, too. There's a good guy in the Senate Republican Caucus -- a policy wonk -- whose hobby is bullriding... and I can assure you, all his marbles are present and accounted for. Besides the challenge and thrill of learning to survive, I couldn't say what else drives him, but if you want to test your sociological theories, I'll put you in touch with him. ;-)

O.E. said...

By the way, kudos on getting through Rocky IV. Isn't it always fun to watch us beat the commies?

Meredith said...

Amy, I thought I'd talked to you about bull riding before! As a Texan, I was raised going to the rodeo and livestock show every year in Houston. The bull riding was always my favorite event (still is). It's an amazing sport. Next time we're together I'm taking you to a bull riding competition so you can develop an appreciation.

BTW, I know the guy David is talking about. He used to be chief of staff for Assemblyman Bill Campbell. I remember him because we talked about bull riding and he definitely had the "stance" of a cowboy. :-)