Monday, October 25, 2004

Yet another rainy fall day . . .

On Friday we invited friends over for a “game night.” (We miss the fun times with the Hall family in Virginia!) Everyone must have had a good time because they all stayed until nearly 1 a.m. When we were done playing games, Kevin, by popular demand, kept us all entertained by acting out Guesstures cards until the wee hours of the morning. It was quite funny, actually. Laughter does indeed soothe the soul and bring friends closer together.

On Saturday I slept in – later than I think I’ve ever slept in. But Kevin was up early working on the sprinkler system out in the front yard. I’m really proud of him because he’s become quite the handyman. By late morning, the rain continued to pour outside and Kev came into the house resigning himself to the fact that it was probably useless to try to get any more yard work done. So, instead, we went for a drive to Apple Hill to buy fresh cider (which tastes like liquid candy!), apples, and apple fritters. Our favorite apple orchard is High Hill Ranch.

Throughout our drive, the rain and patchy fog continued to descend, making the Sierra foothills very mysterious. This time of year, there are a few trees scattered here and there that are beautiful shades of orange, yellow, and red. As we drove along, Kevin sang me a really random song about a boy in Wales whose aunt “always says things perfectly” and likes to throw snowballs at cats with green eyes. (I don’t get it either.) It’s a very random Christmas song his chorale is working on.

2 comments:

CABeachBlonde said...

I just went to Apple Hill, too! And, I had the absolute most fun at High Hill (besides seeing the older cowboy gentleman at Denver Dan's -- he made me a thumb-apple Sunday...messy, but whata memory!). Anyway, my sister and I always know to go looking around by ourselves when my mom visits the egg-lady at HH since she ALWAYS spends at least 30 minutes looking at the ornaments and cathcing up with her. hehe Anyway, I was going to ask if you'd want to go, but for some reason I didn't think it was your thing. Oh, well! :) Glad you like it, too.

Megan said...

Game nights at the Hall's ... there's something that I miss. Wow. Seems like a lifetime ago when Lindsay and I used to get so excited about beating everyone in Mafia or playing "4 on a couch" until the wee hours of the morning. Good times.