Wednesday, October 27, 2004

On Speaking Terms

Tonight I’m speaking about California’s 16 ballot propositions at a voter information night. I’m slightly nervous because there’s so much subject matter that needs to be covered. And I just know that I’ll get questions I probably won’t be able to answer. (That’s what I get for trying to be the Jack-of-All-Trades.)

When I was in high school, I loved public speaking. Probably because that was an era of my life where everything seemed so clear and I, like most teenagers, had all the answers. But now, public speaking isn’t something that I am quite so anxious to jump into. Probably because, as I’ve grown older, I’ve realized how little I actually know. And things have become less clear, over time.

The best part about public speaking is being able to connect with an audience and make people laugh. The problem with tonight is that the topic is, um, slightly boring to a lot of people. Maybe my approach should be to just have fun with it. Hmmm . . . we’ll see if that’s possible. I mean, after all, we’re talking about ballot propositions.

1 comment:

Angel said...

That's so cool, Amy. What a fun-sounding opportunity. I'm anxious to hear how it went! --Angel