Monday, October 18, 2004

The only difference between men and boys . . .

Well, we’ve been saving for a digital camera for quite some time. Nearly a year, actually. We’ve found that we do really well with a “cash system” budget where we put aside money from each paycheck into an envelope for something “big” that we want to buy in the future. (We buy all of our clothes and our groceries this way, too.) Although we’ve had enough money saved up to buy a digital camera for several months now, we have hesitated because we haven’t been able to find the “exact one” that Kevin wants. (He knew what it was in his mind but hadn’t yet found it on the market.) On Friday we decided that we’d just settle and buy whatever looked good at the retail store. The amazing thing is, just that morning, they got a new shipment of cameras and Kevin’s “dream camera” was sitting there waiting for us. Sometimes procrastination really pays off. Kevin has been ecstatic ever since this purchase. He’s just like a little boy at Christmas – and I think it’s really cute. They say that the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what kind of camera is Kevin's dream camera? I'm curious, because we're thinking of getting one someday :)
-- Andrew

Kevin said...

Well, it wasn't so much that it was my "dream camera" as there were certain features that were important to me. My basic criteria were: 4.0 MP or higher and at least a 6x optical zoom, tempered by price. Compactness and a lithium battery were plusses in my mind, too. However, I hadn't been able to find a camera that fit even my basic criteria anywhere on the market. Then, that night at Best Buy, they had some new Nikon camera (I don't know the model number) that fit my basic criteria (even exceeded it, as it has a 8.3x optical zoom) that arrived just that day (they didn't even have it on display yet). And it was in my price range, was fairly compact, and had a lithium battery to boot.

In the previous months when Amy and I would go shopping for cameras, I would usually hem and haw and take about an hour to decide finally that I didn't like a particular camera because there was always a compromise somewhere in my list of criteria. But when the guy showed this one to me, it took me all of 15 seconds, if that, to say, "I'll take it." Based on our past experiences, I think that kinda caught Amy off guard.

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.