Friday, October 01, 2004

The Prince and the Pea

Kevin is very partial about his pillow. Shortly after our marriage we took some gift money and bought two pillows. Each of us picked out our own. Since I always sleep like a baby, regardless of what’s under my head, I wasn’t that particular about what pillow I got. Kevin, on the other hand, took quite a while to decide. Because he’s so funny about his pillow, I always tease him about it. (It’s the type of thing where, if he didn’t make such a big deal about it, I would totally leave him alone. But because it’s a real “issue” for him, I harass him about it constantly.) I always argue with him about which is his pillow and which is mine. Of course, in his mind, his pillow (which, incidentally cost twice what mine did) is far superior to mine. Sometimes I’ll swap pillows to see if he’ll notice. When he does, he demands (nicely) for it to be returned. Then I’ll sigh and say “Okay, you can use my pillow tonight.” Then I get this huge reaction: “It’s MY pillow!!!”

Last night Kevin changed the sheets on our bed. He specifically picked out two different pillowcases – so I would be sure to distinguish clearly which was his pillow and which was mine. “Yours is the solid one and mine is the striped one,” he said. Then he repeated this several times to make sure I remembered it. Later on in the evening, I switched the pillowcases when he wasn’t watching.

Last night, as the lights were turned out, I was holding my breath to see if he would notice. (Silently I was wondering how many days it would take before he’d discover the mix-up.) Within seconds Kevin shrieked, “Amy, what did you DO?!! You are such a brat!!!” I quickly turned on the light so I could see his face. The reaction was priceless. It’s interesting to me that he could tell I’d switched the pillows before he even laid his head on it. All he had to do was touch it with his hand! “Kevin,” I told him, recalling the story of the Princess and the Pea, “You truly are a prince.”

9 comments:

Rachelle said...

This makes it priceless that you gave us pillows for our wedding! (And, wow, Amy, I wish I'd been in a college dorm with you. Oh the pranks we would have pulled.)

Lindsay said...

Amy,
I randomly found your blog months and months ago. I LOVE reading what you have to say. I think the post that caught my attention and made me want to keep coming back for more was the post about "The Swan". I couldn't have agreed with you more. Anyway... I'm excited you allow comments on your page now cause I've been 'dying' to tell you I love your writing and visiting your blog.
God Bless.

NatronLaw said...

Sounds just like Sarah ;-)

the Joneses said...

I'm *still* laughing over this one. It is increasingly obvious that Amy and Kevin are very good for one another. :) -- SJ

the Joneses said...

Sara takes her body pillow with her every time she can. I think the suitcase idea is a good one; if you think carrying a regular pillow looks odd, try a five-foot-long one. :) --DJ

Angel said...

Amy, I laughed so hard reading this post because, but for the names, it is a story straight out of our marriage! Dan is so picky about HIS pillow. We bought new pillows when we got married a year ago (Dan's costing about twice as much as mine) and I have, like you, been known to swap them when he isn't looking, just to see if he'll notice. ;) It's such fun to tease them, isn't it? *impish grin*

Angel said...

Amy, I laughed so hard reading this post because, but for the names, it is a story straight out of our marriage! Dan is so picky about HIS pillow. We bought new pillows when we got married a year ago (Dan's costing about twice as much as mine) and I have, like you, been known to swap them when he isn't looking, just to see if he'll notice. ;) It's such fun to tease them, isn't it? *impish grin*

Angel said...

Amy, I laughed so hard reading this post because, but for the names, it is a story straight out of our marriage! Dan is so picky about HIS pillow. We bought new pillows when we got married a year ago (Dan's costing about twice as much as mine) and I have, like you, been known to swap them when he isn't looking, just to see if he'll notice. ;) It's such fun to tease them, isn't it? *impish grin*

saysloo said...

vous pouvez en savoir plus sacs de créateurs de répliques son commentaire est ici sacs de répliques AAA site important sacs de répliques