Friday, October 15, 2004

Is it Autumn that makes me this way?

Maybe it’s the descent of a new season, with the climate changes, and leaves fluttering downward. Maybe not. I don’t know why exactly but for some reason I’ve been in an uncharacteristically reflective mood lately. One thing I’ve been thinking about is that I probably devote too much of my time to pure folly. (But I also know that it’s okay to enjoy life, too.) Maybe it’s just that the passing of time is becoming more tangible to me and I feel that I should be doing more to stretch myself, deepen my relationship with God, etc. I’ve been convicted lately that I probably watch too many stupid movies and don’t read enough good books. Lately I’ve been reading A Severe Mercy and it’s been tremendously inspiring, to the point of tears on several occasions - and I’m not your typical weepy person (I’ll write more on this later). Part of the reason I think I’ve been so moved by this book is the fact that I can relate to the author on so many different levels. This book has edified me and strengthened my walk with God. As I read it, I can’t help but think, “God, you are good.” I want to read more books like it when I’m done. Hopefully it will happen. Maybe I’ll rotate between good books and stupid movies to help wean myself. Why does the spirit have to be so willing and the flesh so weak?

Last night Kevin called to me from outside: “Amy, come look at this!” There was a layer of ash all over the trashcan lid from the nearby forest fires. Guys, I cannot tell you how incredible it is to see the first-hand affects of the fire. Yesterday you would have thought it was the end of the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin and Amy,
Believe it or not, people do throw their boxers on stage at SOME rock concerts. If you have any other qustions, just let me know.;)

Ang

CABeachBlonde said...

The end of the world ... I felt that was descending upon me, as well, on my 18th birthday (but not because it was my birthday! hehe). The forrest fires were so close to our home that we nearly had to evacuate as the whole atmosphere permeated of eery coloring, sick smell, stuffy air and no sky. The whole world felt uncomfortable and as if there were NO place for escape. I've almost never felt so chlosterphobic or as if normal, secure life had to have permanently ceased to exist.

the Joneses said...

Darren loves "A Severe Mercy." My mother-in-law loves it. My mother loves it. And I've never managed to finish the blasted book. I'm not sure why -- the couple just drives me nuts. Maybe in Heaven they'll have "A Severe Mercy" Appreciation Course, for all of those who missed the point on earth. -- SJ