Wednesday, October 13, 2004

"Ignorance of the law is . . ."

We just got word that they’re lowering the speed limits on 90 different streets in our city. It makes sense for them to do this because there’s been a lot of new construction on many roads in our town and the current speed limits are probably outdated and too permissive. For instance, one road south of where we live is lined with “farm-like” houses (yes, they do exist in California). Across the street is a new development with lots of homes crammed very close together with tiny yards (this is more like the “real” California). The speed limit on this street, which was obviously instituted before the population growth, is 50 mph. If I were on the City Council, I’d probably vote to lower the speed limit on that street, and others like it, too. But, as a resident of this town, it’s going to be a big pain adjusting to the new restrictions. This morning I pondered whether or not they’d give us a “warning” ticket before we got a real one. (Kevin told me not to count on it.) I think it would be wrong for them to take a “sudden-death” approach. I mean . . . how many of you actually check the speed limits regularly on streets you’re already familiar with? What if you’re unaware of new speed regulations? I know, I know . . . ignorance of the law is supposedly no excuse. But I would argue that nowadays there are so many laws (most of them stupid) that are being passed that your average Joe can no longer be expected to know them all. When laws follow what a person’s conscience should know (e.g., don’t murder or steal, etc.), then, yes, I agree, ignorance is not an excuse. But that’s simply not the case anymore. Many laws nowadays cover things a person can’t be expected to reasonably know. Like in Downey, CA where it’s illegal to wash your car on the street. Or, in my hometown of Long Beach, apparently it’s illegal to curse on a mini-golf course. (Not that I’m an advocate of swear words, or that I believe laws like these are frequently enforced, but who’s supposed to know about this?) And the list goes on. It’s getting to the point where I think ignorance of the law should be an excuse, in many instances.

No comments: