Tuesday, August 24, 2004

"Om"

Before Kevin and I were “together” a friend gave me some really strong perfume called Om by Gap. (I don’t know why I started wearing it because, actually, it doesn’t even smell good.) Whenever I would walk by Kevin’s office at HSLDA, on my way to the photocopy machine, he would smell this very distinct perfume (Kevin has very well-functioning olfactory glands) and call out “Om.” And, of course, I would always stop at his door, amazed that he could smell Om from such a distance. It became an inside joke after a while.

Well, last night we discovered the remains of my Om perfume bottle, buried at the bottom of a cosmetics box, as we were packing. I put some on for old time’s sake. This morning Kevin could still smell traces of it on my wrist. “It’s amazing how something like an old, familiar smell can bring back so many memories,” he remarked. How very true that is.

No comments: