Monday, August 23, 2004

Lawbreaking and Note-taking

After a certain experience this past weekend, I can better understand why some people commit crimes. There’s a certain rush involved. Not that lawbreaking activities should ever be justified (lawbreaking is bad, bad, bad!)– it’s just that I can now comprehend why it’s attractive to some people. It’s the thrill of doing something prohibited and not being caught.

Before your mind starts to wander too far . . . I will quickly say that all we did was hop in the back of a truck to ride three blocks to someone’s house from a park. It was dark and, in the spirit of self-preservation, we didn’t want to walk in this neighborhood for three blocks late at night. On the way there, a police car pulled up behind us. It followed us for two turns. We all quickly ducked down in the bed of the truck, sure that he was going to pull us over. We knew we’d have a lot of explaining to do and wanted to avoid an encounter. I felt like an illegal alien sneaking across the border or something. There were a few tense moments. When we finally pulled into our friends’ dormitory complex, the cop hadn’t turned the corner . . . yet. We yelled to the driver of the truck to pull over so we could quickly hop out. While the car was still rolling, we jumped out and ran like there was no tomorrow into our friends’ dorm room. We all crashed on the couch, out of breath and dying of laughter. Fortunately, this cop had a real job (like chasing down burglars and murderers) and didn’t stop to ticket us. It’s been a while since I had a brush with the law. I think the last time was that speeding ticket I got three years ago. Whew!

Lately (probably because I’m such a bad, evil person for riding in the beds of trucks without a seatbelt and stuff), I’ve decided I should start taking sermon notes at church. (For those of you who don’t already know, I have a clinical diagnosis of Adult ADD. My attention span is equivalent to that of a five year old.) Taking notes at church really forces me to concentrate. The only problem with taking sermon notes is that Kevin, a naturally compulsive editor of everything he comes across, constantly points out my spelling errors. It’s not that I don’t know how to spell certain words . . . it’s just that I’m writing too fast to worry about silly, inconsequential things like spelling properly!! Hopefully all this editing won’t totally destroy my note-taking confidence. After all, I must concentrate on the sermons so I can work on my goldiness. Oops, I mean godliness.

No comments: