Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Spices of Life

One of the main reasons I went to Trader Joe’s today was to get vanilla bean for a crème brulee that I’m going to make on Saturday.

I was disappointed to learn that they decided to discontinue vanilla bean at my TJs store. This meant that I would either have to forgo the vanilla bean and use extract instead—which just isn’t nearly as good—or I would have to make yet another stop with tired and soon-to-be hungry children.

It turned out that the absent vanilla bean was a lucky twist of fate.

The TJs employee routed me to a specialty store called Penzeys where you can “see and smell more than 250 spices, seasonings, and herbs.”

Several weeks ago I saw a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown visited a spices and herbs store in Chicago. It was fascinating to learn about this type of business. I wondered if there might be one closer to Indy but never followed up with it.

Let me just say that I cannot wait to go back to Penzeys when I have the time to explore, learn, and experience more of it. It’s not exactly the type of place you want to hang-out at with a two-year-old.

The whole idea of a store dedicated solely to spices and herbs is very intriguing to me. I enjoy using fresh herbs when I can and I love a variety of spice flavors, but I realize there is so much more to learn about how to pack maximum, pleasurable flavor into food.

My mouth is watering just thinking about the possibilities.

Penzeys, I will return!

[Oh, yes, and I ended up buying a Madagascar vanilla bean, which is different than a Mexican vanilla bean, according to the lady at Penzeys.]

7 comments:

Alaina said...

We received a couple of Penzey gift boxes for our wedding and they are wonderful spices! Very high quality!

Queen of Carrots said...

Now my kids would love going to a spice store. One of their favorite games is taking the lids off different spices and smelling them all . . . OK, maybe you're right. Sounds like a very fun place to visit!

Catherine said...

I've wondered what Penzey's was! I'll totally have to check it out!

Stephen, Sarah, Nora, Joseph and Isaiah said...

That sounds awesome! I wonder if I could find a store like that here...If not, I'll have to put it on my to-do list next time I'm in IN.

Shannon Koons said...

1) Penzeys's is the coolest place ever! Exploring the differences in cinnamon was the most fascinating scent to me.

2) Always Always choose Madagascar over Mexican vanilla bean.

Jeanette said...

I LOVE Penzey's. And Sarah, if you don't have one close, you can order online. It's not quite as much fun as wondering through the store, but it's just as rewarding in the end, I think. :)

Micah said...

Penzeys is the BEST!!! I love TJ's, but Penzeys is way better in the spice department!