Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Kid Update

Clara has become infatuated with her own voice. She will “talk” for five minutes straight and Kevin and I have concluded that it’s because she just enjoys hearing herself. I am imagining my life two years from now … two very talkative, giddy girls. Nice! At least I’ll never be bored.

Clara also smiles ALL the time. I don’t remember Meredith smiling half as much. It’s the most encouraging thing in the world; totally lifts my spirits.

And here are some excerpts from Meredith’s journal (I try to keep journals for both my kids, cute things they say and do, and how God is working in their lives. It’s to keep me from feeling guilty that I don’t scrapbook very often!):

Meredith has now learned to help with laundry by sorting the “lights” and the “darks” into different piles. She’s at about an 80% accuracy level.

Meredith is known to float around the house and say things like: “It’s so beautiful! It’s a wonderful dream come true!”

The other day I wiped peanut butter off Meredith’s chin with a washcloth. She was upset because she wanted to do it herself. After screaming for a few seconds, she took a little piece of peanut butter sandwich left on her plate and smudged it all over her chin to “undo” what I had just done. Do I have a strong-willed child, or what? I need prayer.

When I told her I needed to change her diaper, she said, “No, you already changed it yesterday.” (This is also her line when I want to brush her teeth.)

Meredith often mimics Clara and says: “Clara not say any words. She just say ‘aaaaaaaahhhck.’”

When I told her she could pretend to nurse her own dolly, while I fed Clara, she looked at me quizzically and said, “No, mine are too little.”

When I gave Meredith Gatorade she said, “That sounds like alligator. Alligatorade. Heh, heh!”

“We eat spaghetti with Hannah” is what Meredith told me last night when I served her spaghetti. I was incredulous because yes, indeed, three months ago Hannah’s family brought us spaghetti dinner after Clara was born. Then Meredith added, “We eat chocolate too.” Yes!! We also had chocolate cake that night, three months ago. Her memory and retention scares me sometimes.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Don't you just love little girls?

Since she can sort you should try this- get some of those paint sample cards and cut them apart into squares. Then ask her to sort them. It is so interesting what little kids come up with and the different ways they recognize colors one day to the next. My girls loved doing this when they were little.

Rachelle said...

Girls are SOOOO different.... I have to laugh at how verbal Meredith is. I am constantly asking Ben about his feelings. He's got that boy thing going on.... Huh? -rlr

Christy said...

hilarious.
so great.