Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Don't Hate Me

Please don’t be overwhelmed, don’t let me do that to you, but Christmas is less than nine weeks away.

I hate it when Christmas takes over the beauty of fall celebration. The Christmas season really shouldn’t start until after Thanksgiving, truly. But, on the flip side, the Christmas season is much less enjoyable if you’re not prepared for it. As a kid, I took it for granted that the tree just magically appeared and all the Christmas cards wrote themselves. It’s only been since I’ve been married that I’ve realized how much work Christmas can be.

So, I try to find that balance between planning for Christmas early but not allowing it to be a focus too soon.

This year I have really good intentions. I bought a special notebook and printed out a cover page that says “The Koons Family’s Holiday Notebook.” I plan to use it to stay organized this Christmas. I will also use it to keep all our holiday tradition ideas, recipes, and other fun stuff in one place. Now that I have kids, I think it’s important to make the most of every holiday.

Of course, this is something I’ve tried to do all my life. But now it makes sense to be more “intentional” about it.

Last year I attended several talks about making holidays memorable and ideas for creative family traditions. It will be interesting to see which ones we end up incorporating, and which ones stick. Every family celebration is unique.

Have you guys ever checked out the “Christmas Countdown” on OrganizedChristmas.com? They have a six week countdown planner that starts this week. Check it out!

5 comments:

Catherine said...

Wow. I still don't even have a fall wreath on the door, that's how far behind I am this season. :) I was just debating today about doing Christmas cards this year or not.

You're right, it's better to be intentional than stressed and/or disappointed. Thanks for the (gentle) reminder!

Alaina said...

Love the notebook idea - I might just steal it! :) I'm definitely starting to think about Christmas -planning Christmas cards, our open house, baking, gifts etc. I really want to pace myself so we can all enjoy the holidays and not be stressed. Great post, Amy!

Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas planning to you! i don't even want to think about it! (That's unlike me, but that's just this year :) ) My Mom had/has a notebook and she would write down things we did each year and new recipes, etc. It is fun to look back on. I also enjoyed hearing all the new Meredith quotes. :)

Avril said...

Thanks for the reminder about Christmas cards!

By the way, I've enjoyed reading and catching up with all of you. I can't believe it's been so long.

Carrie said...

Hate you!? I love Christmas. It can never start soon enough!