Monday, February 05, 2007

Woosh-Woosh-Woosh

You know it’s a baby before you hear the first heart beat but that doesn’t make it any less exciting. Today I had my first OB appointment. I’m already at the 14 week mark but it took me a while to research doctors and figure out who would be the best fit for me. Fortunately the research paid off and I ended up really, really, emphasis on REALLY liking the doctor I saw today. She was smart, informative, savvy, patient with all our questions, and had a great sense of humor.

This was a relief because I feel like I need to have a personality-connection with my doctor, especially my OB/GYN. I’m not alone, either. I know of a lot of other women who feel the same. It’s not that personality is everything. Ultimately the most important thing is that your doctor is competent and smart. But personality does play a huge factor. Patients by and large want both.

The last two doctors I saw for Meredith (I’m still trying to find a pediatrician for her) were disinterested and rude, respectively, despite the fact that they both seemed really smart. Because their personalities rubbed me the wrong way, I decided to pass them by and continue my search.

Do they have classes in med school on how to connect with patients? They probably should.

Anyway, despite the blood work and pap smear, I can say that I had a surprisingly pleasant morning. I was glad Kevin could come with me, too. We had breakfast beforehand, which was fun. And when it came time to fill out the five-page information sheet, he was especially handy. I was having a hard time remembering basic information like my social security number and his work phone. I also misunderstood several questions on medical history, which he clarified for me. (I will blame it on pregnancy.) We ended up laughing like crazy at my incompetence.

We are so excited to welcome a new life into our little world. Meredith will have to share her kingdom, which will be very good for her. We love this new baby so much already.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you found a good doctor! I pray that God will lead you to the perfect pediatrician very quickly. You're so right about the importance of a friendly doctor.. at least a personable one.

We're so excited for this new little one! Hopefully you'll be able to bring your family out here for a visit not too long after s/he makes the great apperance. (this post is getting long, and I wish they had spell check for comments. I'm too lazy to go to word right now.)

Ok, signing off.
Blessings, you guys!

swan said...

Rock on! I can't wait to meet the little tyke. Put sonogram photos up! hahah

k

Carrie said...

Hey! Congrats! That is so fun. And yes, so very important to find a doctor you LIKE.