Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Fun at the Doctors'

Meredith has had a recurring cough and congestion for the past month. She seems to get better for a few days and then starts coughing again. So today I took her to the doctor.

While we waited in the exam room, Meredith started running around wanting to explore everything. She kept climbing on top of the step to get up on the exam bed and then jumping off the step. Then she wanted to push all the buttons on the exam bed. Next she went over to the doctor’s stool and started spinning it around and around. After getting bored of that, she spotted the blood-pressure-gauge-thing and all the ear-inspection-things hanging on the wall and started yelling “Toys, toys! More!” No, Meredith, those aren’t toys, I told her. Then I told her the doctor would be in at any minute. Every time she heard a noise outside the door she would yell “doctor?”

This is the first time I’ve taken her to the doctor since she’s arrived at the toddler stage. I couldn’t believe how much work she was. It was crazy trying to contain her in that little exam room! It was all I could do to keep her from exploring the toxic waste can.

After what seemed like an eternity the doctor finally arrived.

To make a long story short, she isn’t even sick. She has no signs of a virus or infection, or fluid sitting anywhere in her lungs, ears or throat. So, he thinks that she has some allergies. I got a prescription for some allergy meds and we’re going to try it. Let’s hope it works. Poor girl! We just want her suffering to go away!

6 comments:

Alaina said...

Patrick has the same thing - has had it since we me him. The doctor also thinks it is allergies. We are going to try Benadryl first and go from there. I'm tired of the constant runny nose and I know he is too!! And I totally hear ya on the toddlers at the doctor...I take someone with me to contain my boys and still have a hard time talking to the doctor without the boys getting into something. We've been averaging an appointment a week right now - ugh! Oh well.

Rebecca said...

Doctor visits are one of the harder things to do, especially the waiting. I'm always exhausted after the doctor's. I laughed at how Meredith went from thing to thing keeping entertained. The kids do the exact same thing. I hope she gets to feeling better.

the Joneses said...

I despise doctor's visits. They always seem to take two hours and ten minutes (ten minutes being the operative time period), and by the time the doctor comes in I'm a mess and can't even answer questions coherently. Daphne, three months old, still hasn't had her one-month checkup. She hasn't died since then, so I'm assuming she's feeling well enough that I don't have to endure the ordeal.

In case you haven't gathered it, you get lots of sympathy from this corner.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord she isn't sick! Hopefully it is just something passing and she doesn't have bad allegies. She sounds like a handful in the doctors office, but so sweet at the same time:)

Rachelle said...

It is kind of like taking your car in and then having the problem quit. And trying to explain that there really was a problem. I hope that Meredith doesn't suffer from allergies too. That is no fun.

Jen said...

My Mom use to say that we would get really sick, sick enough to go to the doctor, and then she would take us, and we would run around like crazy and be perfectly fine without a trace of sickness. It use to drive her nuts. :) I can imagine a little one would be hard to contain in such a small space.

So good to see you all over Thanksgiving!