Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Ah, what's a little drizzle?

I spent the morning looking out the window waiting for the rain to stop. Being tired of the confines of the house, I craved a new environment. Finally it went from raining to drizzling. According to weather.com it was going to drizzle from 3-5 p.m before it started raining again.

That was my chance!

“Meredith, you wouldn’t let a little drizzle get in the way of fun, would you?” I asked. “You’re as bored of the house as me, right?” “You don’t mind a little nip on your nose as long as your ears are warm, right?” “Okay, then, let’s go.”

We bundled up, got the stroller out of the garage, and headed for Starbucks. Starbucks has got to be the best place to go on a rainy day. We have a really cool one here in Broad Ripple, too. It has a large sitting area with lots of windows, a fireplace, a couple of leather couches and four large, comfy chairs.

I got an extra-hot venti peppermint white mocha – extra-hot so it would stay warmer longer and venti because (I always have this conversation with Kevin) why would you get anything else? The economist in me realizes that the larger the drink you get, the less you are paying per ounce. Or, maybe it’s just that it’s bigger and I like it. (Heh, heh, heh.)

Meredith and I had a lot of fun today at Starbucks. She was an angel for me. Of course, the cookie helped tremendously. We sat for about 45 minutes, I read the paper, and Meredith stared at two ladies, apparently school teachers, who were grading papers.

Now I’m back home again … looking forward to the next drizzly day.

3 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

lol...that is such a suburban-esque mom thing to do, you crack me up but way to go on the peppermint drink, my fav!

the Joneses said...

Oh, good thinking!

There's a coffee shop a few miles from me where I take the kids if I'm really desperate. Seeing as we're entering winter, dark evenings, and rain, I think they're going to start seeing a lot of me at that shop. Is it too much to hope that THREE kids will be angels long enough for me to relax?

-- SJ

Megan said...

Isn't Starbucks great on rainy days? Especially with all the holiday drinks coming out -- throw in a leather sofa and I'm there in a flash (at least in my mind :). Tell Kevin & Meredith hi!