Thursday, November 16, 2006

My Second Favorite Day … and Toys

Sunday is my favorite day because Kevin takes a break from studying and we have the whole afternoon together as a family. It’s a restful day and a day of worship.

Thursday is my second favorite day because my crazy work deadlines (on Wednesday) are complete and I usually take the day to fool around with Meredith and regroup. Kevin doesn’t have evening class so he gets home in time for dinner. And the promise of another weekend is so close I can almost feel it. That’s why Thursday is my second favorite day.

This Thursday, today, is especially nice because Shannon came and picked up Meredith for the afternoon. This has allowed me to get some extra rest which is good because I’m sick.

Shortly after they left I picked up all the toys that were scattered around the house. That was nearly three hours ago. And, guess what? The house is STILL picked up. Amazing! That, like, never happens in my life. Three hours of sitting quietly and then walking downstairs to find that the house is clean? Incomprehensible!

I find that I must constantly choose between two evils – picking up toys all day long, which is exhausting, OR living with chaos, tripping over everything, and stress, from having toys strewn all over the place.

In theory, Meredith should be learning to pick up after herself, and play with only one or two things at a time.

Yeah, right. I think I’ll try my hand at cat herding first.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I completely understand! Grant is at the age where things are in perpetual disarray. I do the nap-time "quick clean" thing, too. :-)

I love that gray color on your living-room wall, btw!

Queen of Carrots said...

I found that having the toys in bins with snap-on lids and only opening one at a time helps . . . some. There still seem to be an awful lot of miscellaneous things that don't quite belong in a bin, and a lot of things that wander into strange places before it's time to refill the bin. And I tend to subconsciously categorize "crayons" as not "toys" and thus we don't have to put the toys away before we get out crayons.

But D1 is slowly learning to put things away. Actually, she seems to be a bit of a natural neatnik, which is a Very Good Thing for me to have around.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Lock all of his toys up. Kids shouldn't have toys.

Anonymous said...

Kids' toys blow!!! They need to eat more turnips.

Anonymous said...

Hey carrot girl, we should get together.

Anonymous said...

I like your post:) Everyone has been telling me to enjoy all this quiet time now while I can before I become a mom:) btw, your comment about your fall at the bowling alley was so sad! I hope you were ok:)

Amy K said...

About enjoying all the "quiet time before kids" - people told me that too but I never really understood what it meant! So, of course, I never fully appreciated the quiet. :)

the Joneses said...

That's the Rule of Life: You don't really appreciate what you have until you don't have it anymore.

Probably it's no encouragement that I'm still running around all day trying to keep the house picked up. However, by this time we can send the kids into their rooms and tell them to "pick up twelve things," and they will. Sometimes it's just twelve marbles, but still.

I try to have only two or three places that toys go -- a toybox, a dressup box, and a Little Things box. Things still get jumbled and strewn, however.

Have Meredith pick up big things, like blocks, to practice the art. But, sorry, you'll be singing the Mother's Cleanup Song for a long time:

Clean up, clean up
Neverending, eternal chore
Clean up, clean up
Drat, I have to do some more.

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Hey Joneses:
That's not how the song goes. Get it right: http://www.songsforteaching.com/cathybollinger/itstimetocleanup.htm

le Duc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
le Duc said...

O Lowly Parsnip-Face,

Thou thinkest thyself kingly. Thou oughtest to keep great distances between thee and my beloved Queen of Carrots, else I strip thee of thy Kingship, and lay thee low in the dust.

~ The Duke

raybanoutlet001 said...

nike tn
north face jackets
michael kors outlet online
toms shoes
ravens jerseys
nike blazer pas cher
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin
christian louboutin outlet
rolex replica watches