Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Go West Young Ladies

Well, Kevin is officially a student now. He’s been through orientation, which he described as “boring.” Tomorrow is his first day of classes. He’s taking 15 credit hours and will be working 20 hours a week. So, needless to say, his schedule will be hectic.

I’m a terrible wife – I shouldn’t have planned it this way – but I’ll be gone his first week of school. Meredith and I will be visiting my family in Long Beach. I’m a nervous wreck whenever I think about taking a very mobile and independent 14-month-old on an airplane by myself!

Kevin has offered me no consolation. He has already told me that it will be awful and he would be nervous too, if he were me. (We both know our child very well.)

My plan is to bring lots of books – she’s really into books right now – and lots of snack foods that I normally don’t give her, which she’ll love. For instance, store bought cookies.

My hope is that if she starts causing a scene on the airplane, she’ll stop dead in her tracks at the sight of a cookie. (Did I say I know my child?)

Now that I think about it, maybe I should go buy lollipops too. It would probably take her a long while to finish off a lollipop. A lollipop could potentially buy me loads of precious time!

My parents are going to be so fortunate to experience a week with their sugared-up granddaughter!!

I’m really looking forward to spending time with my family this next week. At the same time, it’s been hard to get both mentally and physically ready for it since it’s coming on the heels of our moving and Kevin beginning his studies.

But, ready or not, here we come LBC!

[As an aside, I’m also wondering, with the new anti-terrorism regulations banning liquid in carry-on luggage, if I’ll be allowed to bring bottles of milk and water for Meredith. Here’s hoping!]

10 comments:

Janice Phillips said...

I'm pretty sure I read/heard somewhere that you can take stuff on the plane for a baby but you have to taste if first?

Leah said...

We just flew and they said you can take baby formula on, so you may be able to get away with it. :)

L

quizwedge said...

Best place to look is http://www.tsa.gov/ I just flew between Sacramento and LAX and Sacramento had juice for babies on the list of stuff you could bring, but then had it crossed out. Another thing to think about is that babies cry (or so I've heard) due to the pressure buildup in their ears due to the pressure in the plane changing. Not sure how you fix that since they're too young for gum, but that might be your roughest time.

Rachelle said...

Get a few new things for the plane, but stay away from anything Meredith could throw (pieces). That's my advice having done this a couple of times. And be thankful she'll be arriving to grandparents who will hopefully watch her while her mom gets some good sleep! -rlr

Megan said...

Have a fun trip Amy! I'm sure your parents will be very happy to see you both! Wish Kevin luck on his first week of school!

Anonymous said...

My recommendation is to call your airline. They will tell you what is appropriate for your age of child and what is not. The flight attendants can always give you more if necessary. They've been giving out whole cans of juice and soda on United flights, instead of the normal one cup.

Anonymous said...

"I’m a terrible wife – I shouldn’t have planned it this way – but I’ll be gone his first week of school."

I am sure there are many ways you can make it up to him once you gt back. have a conjugal visit or two and he will forget all.

From Sasha

Anonymous said...

"I’m a terrible wife – "

I am sure there are many ways you can make it up to him once you gt back. have lots of conjugal visit or two and he will forget all.

From Sasha

Walt and Em said...

Have a great time in So. Cal. I wish we could see you. I am sure everything will go just fine. Tell Kevin good luck with school. And, by the way, congratulations on your new home!!

Jen said...

Amy and Meredith... I missed you at church. It was so funny to see Kevin there by himself. Hope you have a safe trip home.