Tuesday, August 15, 2006

New 'Hood

We got all our stuff moved into the new place on Saturday. Whenever we move I’m always reminded how nice it is to have true friends – people who care enough, and are kind enough, to give up their otherwise-free Saturday, sweat profusely, and deal with back pain for a few days in order to help you out. Moving is one thing in life that you definitely cannot do on your own. Thanks friends!

Life is very different now. Our last house was nestled in the quiet suburbs. It was bright and open and fairly new. This house is located in the bustling city. It is smaller, older and feels more closed-in but it also has more character. (Like Jon said, "Take a look at those iron grate air vents!")

At first I was disappointed that we weren’t going to live in the suburbs again. I really loved my old life in Roseville, California. But I know if I sit around and rue my old life too much I’m going to miss out on the good times that I can have here, in Broad Ripple, in the next two years. This will probably be my last chance to live in the city. I’m going to capitalize upon it and make the most of it. It’s going to be fun.

Today I took Meredith on a walk down several city blocks to get some lunch. We’ve been eating leftover pizza for days now, since I haven’t had time to grocery shop yet. I took one look at the last slice of pizza in the fridge and made an executive decision to hit up the town and seek another option.

I must say that it’s more interesting to stroll in the city than in the suburbs – especially where, in our old neighborhood, all the houses looked alike. In this new neighborhood all the houses are unique. Plus, there’s just a lot more happening. There are more people to watch and more activities going on.

I’m looking forward to many more exploratory strolls in my future. In the meantime, I have lots of boxes sitting around, calling my name.

Oh, and in the midst of all our busyness – unpacking, settling in, Kevin trying to order school textbooks, trying to hook-up our new washer and dryer, etc., etc., Kevin has mysteriously come down with a bad case of poison ivy. Since he hasn’t done yard work in a while, we are puzzled at how he got it. But anyway, his hands and arms have been burning and itching since Sunday. Poor guy.

6 comments:

Debra said...

Your new home and the area sound so intriguing! Enjoy the opportunities you have while you have them. God bless you!

Rachelle said...

Ah, I would love to live in the city! My favorite places have been the ones where I could walk to the store, for coffee, to a bakery, etc.... I hope the poison ivy isn't located near your house. If K is really sensitive he could get it through the air. I had to get allergy shots for nearly a year because I had airborne poison oak all summer. Not fun! -rlr

Jen said...

ahhhh...that is why I love BR, b/c it is not cookie cutter. So many great shops and places to eat there and that is so great you are within walking distance.

JoMama said...

Did Aminicus just use the word "'Hood"?

For a minute there I almost forgot that Amy, aka "Grand Master A" is from "da hood" in the LBC. Amy, next time you see Snoop, tell him "what up" from MC Brady B.

Peace out to all homeschoolers.

Anonymous said...

Word to da homeschoola

Anonymous said...

Kickin website Snoop! Turn up the volume when you go! Westside baby