Thursday, August 10, 2006

Under the weather ...

Meredith was sick with the flu two days ago and then gave it to me. Yesterday was the worst. I had a work deadline, had the flu, Meredith was in full-swing energy plus a little crabby with her teething, plus I had started doing laundry that morning and God forbid I should stop doing laundry once I’d already started.

I never thought the day would end.

Today I’m better but am still a little bit drained. This morning I was lying on the couch with absolutely no energy as Meredith pranced about, taking advantage of my immobility and exploring new territories. I watched, through heavy eyelids, as she scattered bread on the floor, took books out of the shelf, and unfolded a pile of laundry.

You know, when you’re sick there are a lot of things you really don’t care about when, otherwise, you would.

I hadn’t planned on falling asleep but was awaked out of a deep stupor to the sound of my cell phone announcing: “To complete this call …” She had found a way to turn the speaker on – that’s the only reason I heard it.

In a daze, at first I couldn’t locate where she was. Finally, following the sound of the phone, I climbed upstairs to find her sitting on the landing, a guilty look on her face. She knows she’s not supposed to play with my cell phone. (The picture of her, below, is an old phone – THAT one is okay.)

I looked at the “call history” and discovered that she’d made five different phone calls. Thankfully none of them were to 9-1-1. It looks like she called somewhere in Austin, Texas and somewhere else in Greensboro, North Carolina. One of the numbers she dialed had upwards of a dozen digits. I can only hope that our next phone bill doesn’t reveal that she made a call to Pakistan.

4 comments:

Queen of Carrots said...

Oh my. I can so relate. D1 keeps hitting the keys to sign us up for cell phone internet service. Hope it's not too expensive. =-O

I hope you're feeling better!

Janice Phillips said...

hehehe...yeah, I can see it now: "Indiana toddler suspected of terrorist ties, attorney father files not-guilty by reason of teething insanity, mother drafts press release alledging parental rights protection for drooling daughter."

Feel better soon, Amy!

the Joneses said...

Oh, dear, being sick with a little one running around is one the hardest times of life to manage. I remember once giving the kids a pack of Saltine crackers and then sitting them down in front of a long video, then lying in bed and trying not to move. Even then I had the advantage of older kids. I hope you feel better soon!

-- SJ

Anonymous said...

Post Something Else!!!!!!!