Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Couch

“Kevin, you know that olive colored couch that isn’t even comfortable and you hate?”

“Yes.”

“I miss it.”

So went our conversation last night. It suddenly hit me how I miss certain things from my familiar life in Roseville, CA. It’s been a long time now – nearly three months – since I’ve seen my furniture, my toaster, my silverware, my winter shoes, etc. All those things are packed up and sitting in a storage shed in Brownsburg, IN.

We’ve been trying to find a house to buy. We narrowed down the neighborhoods we like. We were pre-qualified for a loan. We’ve looked at specific houses. But we haven’t had a peace about anything.

After thinking through things, because real property here isn’t appreciating, it might be a better financial decision to rent for two years while Kevin is in school rather than sinking our down payment into something we’re not 100% happy with.

So, now, we’re looking at rental houses.

Things have been great here at Kevin’s folks’ house. They’ve made us feel so loved and welcomed. We really appreciate that. We appreciate their generosity of letting us camp-out here while we try to make up our minds.

But, like I said, I miss my stupid, familiar, wonderful couch.

5 comments:

Megan said...

I totally know what you mean Amy. We've only been out here for 2 weeks, and our stuff packed for about 4, but it seems like I'm never going to get to see my stuff in storage. We rented a 1 bedroom, and put most of it in a garage we're renting. It'll be nice to be settled!

Micah said...

I was thinking about you guys just the other day! Kathryn and I were at my sister's house for a week, and when we got home, I couldn't believe her reaction to the old familiar! I wouldn't have even thought she would have noticed, but she did! It made me think... I wonder what Meredith's reaction would be if she could go "home" again. Hope things progress quickly!

JoMama said...

Whatever! Just admit that the in-laws are driving you nuts.

CABeachBlonde said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean . . . I'm in that exact state right now--and have been for awhile. I can't wait to get all settled and have my things back. (should happen in Sept.!)

Anonymous said...

M'chermal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!