Monday, July 17, 2006

Blueberries Galore


On Friday I tried my hand at something new … blueberry picking.

For the first twenty minutes I felt like Martha Stewart. I paused often to take in the lush scenery, chatted nonchalantly with friends, and only picked the plumpest and most beautiful berries for my bucket.

During the next twenty minutes it decided to rain. At that point I felt more like a plantation worker, madly dashing up and down the rows of bushes to get my quota. It was quite comical, actually. The ground became muddy, we were all soaking wet, and we were running about throwing every kind of blueberry in our buckets, including stems, leaves and even a few bugs.

But then the sun came out again. At that point we had most of the blueberries we wanted but decided to continue picking for more, and to try and dry off a little.

At the end of the day, it was a win-win situation. Not only did I enjoy the experience, I also have nearly 20 pounds of blueberries in my freezer, designated for future pies, tarts, and muffins.

This blueberry picking thing is going to have to become an annual tradition, I think.

3 comments:

Megan said...

Isn't fruit-picking fun? When I lived in Washington state I'd always pick berries with my mom, it's so much less expensive compared to purchasing them at the store, and the experience is fun. I remember coming home with my hands stained whatever color of berry and my stomach aching because I'd eaten so much!

Nica said...

20 lbs. of blueberries? That's funny... for some reason I hear it in Marilla's voice from Anne of Green Gables. ;)

We had about that many blueberries after my sister Bronwyn's wedding: the caterer had forgotten to put the berries in the punch like we requested. Oops!

Anonymous said...

Blueberry picking is an annual thing for us here in Missouri, too. We call them "Brain Berries," cause they're high in anti-oxidants and our awesome for your brain. Holy crow, 20 pounds? We've got like 15. You'll come to find in time that another fridge is a must ... one of those box ones that actually are only about $180.