Monday, July 17, 2006

It's beginning to look a lot like football ...


I still can’t believe it but I’ve been dragged into the whole Fantasy Football craze. All the guys under 40 from our church were planning to do it this year so one of the wives decided that the gals should have a “Chic League” and participate too.

I’m still not sure how “into” it I’ll be – I keep saying I’m doing it for the social factor only. I enjoy watching football but I’m just not into all the stats and stuff. It seems like, if you’re going to win Fantasy Football, you have to really know the stats and keep on top of it every week. Or just be lucky, I suppose.

One good thing is that it will give me an excuse to learn more about the sport. A second benefit is that it will give Kevin and I something to chat about and be competitive about. You can never have enough competition, you know.

The draft itself was fun (but got really tedious towards the end). We all met at the Falks’ house – the girls were upstairs and the guys were downstairs.

I really wish I had a camera. They guys were hysterical. They had the room configured to accommodate all their laptops plus a phone to conference-call a friend. (All the extra leaves were put in the dining room table to do this.) They were constantly smack-talking and then hurrying to go talk with someone else about strategy. They were rushing around everywhere, acting like little boys who were getting their first puppy. It was cute.

During their break, all the guys rushed upstairs. Each guy ran to his wife to look at her list of players and see who SHE had drafted. Somehow I think that Kevin is going to keep better tabs on my players than I will.

Here is an example of how the girls’ draft differed from the guys’ draft:

The guys: “Oh yeah, he played for the Ravens last year!”

The girls: “Plaxico. What a weird name. Okay, I’ll take him.”

7 comments:

JoMama said...

I too enjoy a good game of sports, however it is somewhat perplaxico, er, I mean perplexing to see such a change of attitude from Aminicus...

Anonymous said...

lol. :) It sounds like me when i picked Florida during March Madness. "I like Florida; it's nice and warm and sunny down there." My husband was quite perturbed with me. :-D ~Jenna

Mark said...

If you can get Larry Johnson or Shawn Alexander at running back, you will always be competitive.

Look to pick up sleepers like Kurt Warner at Quarterback. He has a great offense this year for the Cardinals, even though they traditionally have been a bad team. Even if they have a losing season, he will still probably put up great fantasy numbers.

Kevin said...

Yes, it's VERY early for a draft. But we had to do it sooner rather than later because the guy who organized the league will be in Kazakhstan for 4 - 6 weeks starting sometime in August, where he and his wife are adopting a couple of kids.

I was happy to come out of draft day with both Tomlinson and Bush as my RBs.

Janice Phillips said...

That's AWESOME!! Go Amy!!

Amy K said...

Responding to allegations that I've changed my tune - I believe in balance. Part of balance is enjoying sports. When sports completely consume your life, to the point that your family members have to suffer because of it, that's not "enjoying" sports, that's being selfish.

JoMama said...

Observations, not allegations.