Monday, October 31, 2005

An Innocent Practice?

Regardless of whether you choose to participate in Halloween or not, hopefully you have deeply wrestled with the question of whether it’s okay to celebrate this holiday. Like many other things, too many Christians partake in Halloween activities because it’s simply the cultural thing to do.

How many Christians have honestly asked themselves, “What does God think of Halloween?”

“Is it possible to align ourselves innocently with something traditionally and currently involved with the occult and be certain we will not be affected in any possible manner?”

“What about the repeated admonitions in scripture that we should not imitate evil?” (3 John 11, for instance.)

I can’t say I’m 100% convinced of what the right thing to do is. Currently Kevin and I choose not to celebrate Halloween because of its evil origin. Some years we go to a Reformation Day dinner (and eat German food) and other years we just stay home and watch a movie with the lights out.

The decision to not celebrate Halloween hasn’t been easy for me. I would love to celebrate – dressing up and eating candy. What could be better?

Anyway … whether you choose to celebrate it or not, I think it’s admirable to think deeply about it rather than simply doing it by default because it’s the “thing to do” on October 31.

For an interesting radio broadcast on this topic: go here.

8 comments:

Rachelle said...

To me it isn't so much the origins but the current significance that makes the difference. What exactly are we celebrating if we celebrate Halloween? For me, there is no Christian significance, and truthfully, I am not real excited about sending my child on a sugar high. When I studied in England, my English brothers and sisters were horrified that American Christians celebrated Halloween. For them it was a nod to pagan ritual and Satan himself. After learning this, the Americans I was with chose to commemorate All Saint's Day (Nov 1) instead. -rlr

Anonymous said...

Madeleine, being the evil child that she is, is planning on dressing up as “Satan’s pink octopus”

Anonymous said...

Tuckster--
It's more like the baby Octopus on Finding Nemo...

the Joneses said...

We "do" Halloween, for a variety of reasons, none of them being "that's what you do on Oct. 31." It certainly wasn't what I did, growing up.

I don't think it does any good for Christians to pull out or create "alternatives." Christmas and Easter have pagan roots also, but Christians have succeeded in redeeming those holidays. I can't say I'm that optimistic about Halloween, but as a family we observe the day as All Saints' Day Eve.

And we do celebrate All Saints' Day. Darren is cooking for our party tomorrow, and this minute practicing "For All The Saints" on the piano, which we sing to close the party. Wish y'all could come!

-- SJ

Amy K said...

Jo Mama - I'm sure Madeleine is adorable as an octopus. I'd love to see pics. Today I was at the Galleria and all the kids were dressed up getting candy from the vendors. They (most) were cute.

Anonymous said...

There were quite a few cute ones tonight (including Madeleine of course), however there were a few trick-or-treaters who were old enough to shave. Personally I think that if you have a 5 o'clock shadow, you're too old to trick or treat with the rest of the kids...

Anonymous said...

Totally. It was disgusting.

Kevin said...

Here's an interesting observation on this subject (although consider the source): http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/051101005143.9f6752nt.html

Apparently Venezuela's Chavez is equating "trick-or-treating" with terrorism. While certainly exaggerated, I guess if anyone follows through with the "trick" part, he's right.