Monday, October 24, 2005

Attempted Larceny

On Saturday we went to Wal-Mart to print off some pictures. While Kevin and I were mesmerized, looking at the monitor to edit some of our photos, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that a man was lingering around our shopping cart. I looked over at him and saw him reach into our cart and into the diaper bag where my wallet was sitting in plain view. My heart raced and I started to walk toward him. He looked up and our eyes met. My eyes were incredulous and his were guilty. He instantly withdrew his hand and walked away. I went to make sure that my wallet was still there. It was. When I looked up to see if he was still around, he had (of course) completely disappeared.

At this point, Kevin was still deeply enthralled with the photo editing, and completely unaware of what had transpired. I’m amazed that, since I’m so spacey, I even noticed this attempted larceny.

Kevin makes fun of me how I’m often paranoid that people will steal things. When we leave our car, I try not to leave valuables in plain-sight and I always lock my doors. I think it’s because we have very different upbringings. Kevin grew up in the country in Indiana and I grew up in L.A. It’s probably the difference between leaving the keys in your unlocked car and not only locking your car, but using The Club, whenever you park your car in front of your own house! (Yes, I admit, I used to own The Club.)

3 comments:

Angel said...

I am the same way as you Amy - I never even leave $.10 in change visible through the car window. You never know who will try what - Easter Sunday a car in the church parking lot had its window smashed and everything inside stolen because the woman had left her purse in the car (and that was a suburb of Portland!)
-Dan

Kevin said...

Tuckster: Speaking of lost chances . . . I needed your eagle eyes yesterday. I walked out to my car yesterday at 3:30 in the afternoon to discover that someone had ripped out my car stereo and CD changer in broad daylight in the office parking lot. It wasn't even parked along the fence, where I would expect something like that!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevinicus,
Thanks for the Stereo!