Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Friends and Blogs

My friend Sara left a comment on one of my recent posts, where I stated that blogging can satiate our desire to connect with people but I bemoaned the fact that many women appear to let this meet their need for fellowship without pursuing real relationships where they connect with the women in their own communities, face-to-face.

Sara made some good points, articulating much more of what I have been thinking about this topic, especially her remarks that “you never see the whole person” through a blog.

You can read the rest of her excellent post here.

2 comments:

Heather L. said...

What you and Sara wrote was so true. Just to give another point of view :) -- for some of us with health issues that prevent us from being able to get out as much as we like, blogging can be a help. I agree that it should not take the place of real friendships at all, and it really is SO much nicer to sit and visit with a person "in person." But, some of us sit here at home "dreaming" of being able to get out more, and just can't. I know your blog was probably directed more torwards people who could get out and meet people and just don't. Hopefully this comment doesn't "sound" like I'm disagreeing, because I'm not really. :) It would be much better to say this in person. :)

Amy K said...

Heather, I think you bring up a great point. I definitely don't mean to put down people who form new friendships on blogs--I think that's fantastic! And I do realize that some people can't get out because of physical limitations.

I'm the first person to recommend blogging. And I do think it can be a great way to meet new friends and encourage other people.

I think that all I was trying to do was address one fault of blogging--it's easy to have blogging friends. It's a lot harder, and it takes a lot more personal investment, to show your "whole" self and be a face-to-face friend.