Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Me at the "Y"

Last night I signed up for a water aerobics class at the local YMCA.

Yes, I know that water aerobics is stereotyped as the lazy person’s exercise. Come to think of it, this classification is probably deserved. After all, I’ve never seen a really buff person doing water aerobics. All of those people are pumping iron in the next room.

But, regardless of the stereotype, I feel like it will do me a world of good in the final six weeks of my pregnancy. So, there I was last night with all the other lazy exercisers, most of them gray haired and at least 100 pounds overweight. It cracked me up … some of them had flotation devices strapped around their midsections and some of them weren’t even doing the exercises at all. Ha!

But, seriously … I feel like it will help me meet my personal goals for exercise right now. After 90 minutes in the pool, I truly got a decent workout. I was able to stretch and use muscles in my body that I wouldn’t have been able to outside the water because of the pressure on my joints, which are already in pain because of the baby weight. Rather than being exhausted after the class, I was refreshed and had renewed energy.

So, I think it’s worth it. And maybe I’ll make some new friends from the local AARP in the meantime.

3 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

Oh! Our landlords have a pool, and it is so wonderful to spend time in the water! Lazy, schmazy. :-P It's the only way we can move muscles when we have just gotten too heavy to do what we know we should be able to do, and you're right, it's not exhausting at all. Sometimes, it's the only way I can move around! I hope it goes well for you!

Catherine said...

I think that sounds like a great thing to do at the end of pregnancy. Next time around I'm definitely going to swim.

Plus, as an added bonus, hanging out with fat geriatrics can only make you feel prettier and thinner, which is also a good thing late in pregnancy (not that you have to worry about that Amy!).

Rachelle said...

I commend you on exercising in your final 6 weeks. -rlr