Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Exorcism

Neither Kevin nor I are into horror films. I don’t mind suspense movies with jump scenes, when I’m in a certain mood and up for a scare, but I generally would rather not see depictions of ghastly evil constantly portrayed for two hours. I was, however, glad that we watched The Exorcism of Emily Rose last night.

Several months ago I got the film from the library and started watching it. By myself. At night.

After the opening scene, showing an eerie pumpkin patch, I turned it off and decided to wait until I had more company. Last night Kevin’s sisters and our pastor came over to watch it with us. I'm glad I waited.

It was very interesting to see a film where Faith vs. Reason was on trial. The film also brought up a host of questions about exorcism and demon possession. Apparently Emily Rose is based on a true story. Some of our discussion afterwards centered on how common or real is demon possession and can it happen to a true believer with the Holy Spirit residing in them.

If you’re up for it—and have people to watch it with you—I would recommend seeing it, if only for the reason that it will make you think. And if you’re into horror, you might also be entertained.

“In many of the documented cases [of demon possession], there are good explanations for [why a person is singled out for it]. There seems to be a pattern of people who get involved in the occult, or people who have been literally placed under spiritual curses. It does seem like there are certain warnings that ought to be avoided. But at the same time, as I read the New Testament, it seems like some of the people who are possessed just are. That they are victims of this fallen world.” –Scott Derrickson (writer/director of The Exorcism of Emily Rose)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a conversation about this movie at work last summer.

The conclusion I came to was a sad one. I do not believe Emily Rose went to heaven.

I do not believe she could die of demon possession in order to bring glory to God.

Not once in the Bible can I recall a time when Jesus left a demon in someone to bring glory to His Father.

How can God and Satan/demons reside in the same place. They cannot.

It was really sad when you realize how Emily Rose was decieved by what she thought was God/Jesus/Holy Spirit/Angel (I don't remember who she thought it was, I haven't seen the movie).

To bring glory to God would be to free her of the demon.

Very sad.

SES said...

thanks for the review K&A. I'm not into horror at all either but I may end up seeing this one.