Friday, September 22, 2006

Random Things

I have a child who hates the computer. Or, better put, hates it when I’m on the computer more than I have to be to get my daily work done. Therefore, I don’t blog as much as I used to.

Aunt Shannon has her right now, actually. They went to run some errands together. And tonight, when they get back, the three of us are going to the circus!

I’ve been on the Ringling Bros. website umpteen times to look at the clowns, lion tamers, and the people who get shot out of cannons. I’m SO excited.
______________________

Recently overheard from Kevin: “I really don’t like traditional law school. I thought I would but I don’t.”

He tells me that the Socratic method is “overrated.” (This is something he was looking forward to but, after experiencing it, he thinks is dumb.) He tells me that it’s nothing like standing in front of a judge in open court. Basically, he says, it’s all about the professor trying to prove his point, ignoring any legitimate argument the student may have, and trying to make the student look stupid. He said he learned a lot more about how to be a good lawyer by bantering back and forth with his boss Jim Mason at HSLDA.
______________________

My last MOPS class featured an interior designer who said something I disagreed with at the very beginning. Therefore, I found myself tuning her out for the rest of the class. This is bad, I know.
______________________

Last night we got a call from Kevin’s parents and then met up for ice cream. And on Tuesday night we had his grandparents over at our house for dinner. These are things that we couldn’t do in Sacramento. It’s nice to be able to do more “family” things.
______________________

It’s been really cool and crisp here lately, definitely evoking a fall feeling. I have a pumpkin sitting outside our door and that has helped me to get into the fall mood.

It’s been a while since I’ve experienced this type of fall weather, encompassing certain sights, smells, and feelings. It’s been since 2002, to be precise. That’s when Kevin and I were first married and living in Virginia.

Because I haven’t experienced this “fall feeling” since I lived in the Old Dominion, lately I’ve been flooded with memories from that time and place in my life.

I love Virginia and always will. But I think part of me probably romanticizes it a little too much. Those years were very good.

8 comments:

JoMama said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachelle said...

I agree with you about romanticizing Virginia a little too much. It holds such wonderful memories for me and so many good things were started there (my marriage, the birth of my son) that I don't see it objectively. A recent trip back there reminded me that everything changes and time has not stopped there either.-rlr

Megan said...

What did the Interior Designer say? I have to know now :)

Isn't it strange being in a true fall season again, after warm California weather? I'm having a hard time - I love fall, but it's 40 degrees here today! Yikes. It's supposed to snow tomorrow...I'm definately not ready!

the Joneses said...

I imagine that if we ever have to leave Virginia, it will become misty and rosy in my mind as well. As remarked, we've had really good years here.

There's a t-shirt I was tempted to get for the kids: "Virginia is for Lovers, and I'm the proof." But I figured they'd die of embarrassment, after slaying me, in later years.

-- SJ

Amy K said...

Oh, well, I hate being so opinionated about this type of thing! The lady said that if you don't know what to do with your walls you should just pick a color, any color that you like (you can always redo the wall, paint is cheap), and start with that. The accessories can follow.

What I've always heard and read is that you should, INSTEAD, start with your accessories, toss pillows, wall hangings, etc., and then find a color in those things to paint your walls - a color that will compliment, contrast, or whatever it is you want to do. Basically, it's easier to find a paint color to go with something than it is to find accessories that go with something.

So, there you have it. :)

Nica said...

LOL! Oh, Amy. I would have been in your boat.

BUT, at the same time, my design courses have taught me that you CAN just choose a color, any color, you like, if you have NO IDEA what you're doing in the room... and then go from there.

First choice should be to have your decor style, and the main components, second is to just "pick a color any color."

Angel said...

I'm persistently guilty of over-romanticizing Virginia. Of course, I grew up there and it's "home" so I tell myself I have a better excuse than most. :) However, I know my overall contentment with life and everyday cheerfulness is largely dependent on how content I make myself where I am, right then. And thankfully, Sacramento is an easy place to like. :) That whole "bloom where you're planted" saying has a lot of merit. ;)

raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors outlet online
eagles jerseys
golden state warriors
cheap basketball shoes
michael kors handbags outlet
toms outlet
patriots jerseys
mlb jerseys
cheap oakley sunglasses
michael kors outlet