Friday, September 15, 2006

Five O'Clock Dread

For many men and women in the work force, five o’clock is the most anticipated time of their day. It’s when they finally get to leave the office and head home. For stay-at-homers who are responsible for dinner preparations, five o’clock can be the most dreaded time of their day. Especially if they have no clue what is on the evening’s menu.

Many of my female friends – lets admit it, it’s usually the women folk who are responsible to get the grub on the table – have confided to me their five o’clock fears.

So far I’ve been able to stem the five o’clock dread by becoming an avid weekly-menu planner. I’m not very organized in (probably) any other area of my life but I’ve found that planning our menu in advance results in these benefits: 1) we eat better, 2) we save money by eating out less often, 3) we save money by shopping from a list and not buying items that go to waste or are unnecessary, and 4) my days are more sane because I know what to anticipate at five o’clock.

Well, for busy cooks everywhere, I’m happy to report that my favorite recipe website has just come out with a new feature.

The All Recipe’s Cooknik Meal Planner

This is something I’ve long felt has been missing from their site and would be extremely helpful for many people – both stay-at-home cooks and working cooks.

I think this could be a great tool and I’m glad to see that it’s finally being implemented. It’s $15 for six months and, in my opinion, if there are only a few meal ideas I glean every week from it, it would be well worth it. (We have a lot of family favorites so I doubt we would use every idea, in a given week, anyway!)

One attractive thing about this meal planner is that it lists appropriate meals for whatever season it is and encourages the use of seasonal ingredients. Plus, it creates a categorized grocery list for you! Imagine the time this could save …

I wish all of you many happy five o’clocks!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm impressed that you plan menus in advance. It's such a great idea, but one that I never seem to be able to bring to fruition!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great feature! I love All Recipes too but I didn't know that they had this. We'll be trying that this week....

Joshua and Carrie Briggs said...

I need to take advantage of planning ahead. I've been wanting to start it, but haven't done it - I'm a procrastinator!

Queen of Carrots said...

Until you can grant every mother of young children a free babysitter from four to six and can squelch the Project Monster who ensures that urgent work projects always turn up at 4:45, 5:00 will continue to hold considerable dread.