Thursday, August 21, 2008

Really Nice People Exist

Hopefully today I will get my car back from the repair shop, where all four tires are being replaced. We would have waited a little longer to replace them, except on Monday I ran over a very large nail on the road and got a flat tire. So now they are all getting replaced.

After hearing a strange noise while driving on Monday, I pulled the car into a parking lot. There happened to be a FedEx drop-off box right there and a woman was putting a package in it. She saw my tire and rushed over, offering to let me use her battery-operated pump to re-inflate my tire. I was overwhelmed with gratitude that a total stranger would be so eager to help. Then, two roadside workers wearing orange vests walked over and asked if we needed power for the pump. We said ‘no thanks’ and they left.

After a few minutes, we realized that the pump wasn’t doing any good and I would indeed need the tire changed. As the lady started to leave, the roadside workers walked over again and asked if I needed more help. I had just ended a phone call to Kevin and we decided to contact roadside assistance. I told him, “Sorry I don’t know how to do these types of things.” Kevin said, “What? You can’t change a tire?!” Like (jokingly), “What kind of woman did I marry?” (Maybe I should learn how to do this someday to prove that I’m a Real Woman …)

The road workers, who were laying cable and get paid per foot they lay, said they would be happy to take 30 minutes and change my tire for me. Again, I was overwhelmed with gratitude. I couldn’t believe these total strangers were being so nice and considerate toward me. In no time I was back on the road again.

It was so refreshing to see such goodness and decency in this world. What could have been a real bummer of a day ended up being such a blessing and encouragement.

If that weren’t enough, after I left with my spare tire intact, I went to the gas station to figure out how to put air in the spare tire. The guys who helped me said it really needed it. I stood there with a bewildered look on my face wondering just how to go about it. (I wasn’t going to let on to Kevin that I couldn’t do even THAT, so I was determined to figure it out.) One of the mechanics at the gas station saw me with a blank look on my face and then offered to help. He not only put air in that tire, but he put air in all my tires!

Who would have thought that a flat tire would have made me feel so good about living on this planet! What a great day!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Senator Obama would be proud of you for putting air in your tires!