Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I'm a CVS Believer

My friend Catherine has been getting free, nearly free or, sometimes better-than-free (because they pay her to take it out of the store), items from CVS for a long time. I was always a little bit awed by this and a tad bit skeptical.

Nothing in life is free, right?

One day Catherine linked to Money Saving Mom’s "CVS 101" tutorial on exactly how to do this. I read about the details then I decided to try it one week. My first time doing this, I spent about an hour in the tiny CVS store reading and re-reading how to use the coupons I had printed off online and what exactly to buy. This last time it was a cinch and took hardly any time at all.

My first trip I got three Tylenols, two packs of eight AA Duracell batteries, two Revlon mascaras, and two Revlon long last eye shadows for about $20, plus I got $15 back in CVS’s “Extra Care Bucks” (ECBs) which work like cash in CVS stores.

My second trip I got two bags of Hershey Kisses (for holiday baking), five bottles of Palmolive dish soap, two Children's Dimetapp cough and cold medicines, AND two bottles of Garnier Nutritioniste facial cleanser (these were the “better than free” items).

I spent all of my ECBs ($15 worth) from the last trip plus $1.90 of my own money, AND I got $18 worth of ECBs for next time. So, CVS essentially paid me to take all of this stuff home.

The trick is to look for store sales, and stack coupons (manufacturer coupons and store coupons) on top of that, and to only buy stuff with a high rate of ECBs return.

My policy is to only “buy” stuff I will use and all of these items are things that I already use, except for the facial cleanser. But, hey, I’m willing to try it since CVS paid me to take it home.

As Catherine says, “It’s such a rush.” I felt like a kid at Christmas. Last night I told Kevin that even if I were a millionaire I’d still want to do this because it’s so much fun! I can’t wait for next week’s ads to come out so I can see what other types of free stuff I get.

I am a believer.

6 comments:

Rose said...

Amy, I discovered Crystal's site about a month ago, and I am totally addicted! I tried out CVS a year ago, before they revised the ECB, and came away disillusioned. Now it rocks! I've probably gone there twenty times in the last month. It is a rush, isn't it?

I am so glad you're hooked on CVS too. I sometimes feel a bit out there when I rave about bargains on my blog. =)

Monica said...

I, too, have become a CVS fanatic. I was able to pick up some of those glucose monitors for free with $20 ECB X 3. I think this deal is still going on until the end of the month. Then I went and bought my girls some pretty hair things and some facial cleaner that I would never spend the money on otherwise as well as diapers for the month. And they paid me $17 do get those things!! Loving it.

I can't wait to go back again this week and see what CVS would like to provide for our family:)

Shannon Koons said...

I am impressed with your savings and someday, I'll be a CVS addict, I'm sure. But honestly, the best part about your ENTIRE post was fact that you qualified the Hershey kiss purchase. :)

Amy K said...

Shann--Ha! Not that I have to qualify it, RIGHT??!! Actually I WAS very excited because Kev loves those Peanut Blossom cookies. Yay!! I'm so excited. I have two bags. Now I can make two batches!!

Angel said...

FYI, for those who don't have CVS in their area (*sniffle*), Walgreens has a similar program. Essentially you rack up rebates and Walgreens automatically adds the cash you earn to a gift card you already have. Then you use the gift card to purchase additional items. I haven't exactly MADE money this way, but I have gotten quite a few of my drug store items for free. :)

TulipGirl said...

Plus, in our area CVS has the least expensive milk. Considerably less than our grocery store. . .